#BookReview: The Rules of Magic By Alice Hoffman

It was everything I hoped it would be.


The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman, Narrated by Marin Ireland 
Audiobook Review
Released October 2017
Amazon ♦ Goodreads
From beloved author Alice Hoffman comes the spellbinding prequel to her bestseller, Practical Magic.

Find your magic.

For the Owens family, love is a curse that began in 1620, when Maria Owens was charged with witchery for loving the wrong man.

Hundreds of years later, in New York City at the cusp of the sixties, when the whole world is about to change, Susanna Owens knows that her three children are dangerously unique. Difficult Franny, with skin as pale as milk and blood red hair, shy and beautiful Jet, who can read other people’s thoughts, and charismatic Vincent, who began looking for trouble on the day he could walk.

From the start Susanna sets down rules for her children: No walking in the moonlight, no red shoes, no wearing black, no cats, no crows, no candles, no books about magic. And most importantly, never, ever, fall in love. But when her children visit their Aunt Isabelle, in the small Massachusetts town where the Owens family has been blamed for everything that has ever gone wrong, they uncover family secrets and begin to understand the truth of who they are. Back in New York City each begins a risky journey as they try to escape the family curse.

The Owens children cannot escape love even if they try, just as they cannot escape the pains of the human heart. The two beautiful sisters will grow up to be the revered, and sometimes feared, aunts in Practical Magic, while Vincent, their beloved brother, will leave an unexpected legacy. Thrilling and exquisite, real and fantastical, The Rules of Magic is a story about the power of love reminding us that the only remedy for being human is to be true to yourself.


My Thoughts:

I read Practical Magic a million years ago (1996 maybe) and remember almost nothing about it besides the fact that I pretty much loved and adored everything about it. I didn’t obsessively write reviews for everything I read back then so I may need to reread it someday to see if this still holds true. This is the prequel. You do not have to have read Practical Magic in order to love and adore The Rules of Magic. I listened on audio and did not take notes and simply enjoyed every word.

Susanna moved out of Massachusetts as soon as she was able. She landed in NY and was diligent about making sure her kids had a normal life and stayed away from certain things like Oujia boards, cats, moonlit nights, red shoes and true love. Especially true love. Finding or seeking love would doom them, she promised. Of course the kids do the exact opposite. When Susanna’s oldest daughter receives a formal invitation to spend the summer at her childhood home with her two younger siblings she tells them they can go but strongly advises against it. She claims, very ominously, that they will never be the same if they leave and visit their aunt and learn all the family secrets she’s been keeping from them!

Susanna handled this all wrong, if you ask me. Were I her, I would’ve told the kids that auntie was a mean old hag who would lock them in the basement for the summer and feed them rats. Of course they go. I mean, wouldn’t you? Franny, Jet and Vincent spend the summer released from all of the rules and restrictions their parents usually inflict upon them. They can eat whatever they want, go to bed whenever they want and as long as “they do no harm” they are free to be themselves. They revel in it and start snooping into their heritage and learning all about their inherited magical abilities. And, just as their Mamma forecasted, none of them will ever be the same.

See, they’ve inherited more than magic. A terrible curse will plague them throughout their lives. The curse of true love. Mamma wasn't lying.

This is such a beautiful and heartbreaking book about the three siblings as they grow from teens to adults and do their best to avoid love and the grief that accompanies love. In the process, they fill their lives with sorrow.

“I’m fated to lose everyone I ever love”

“Of course you are. That’s what it means to be alive.”

Reading this is like free falling into another world. It’s a truly magical experience and I highly recommend it. I hated leaving the characters when it was all over and that so rarely happens that I’m giving it all the stars.

The audio narrated by Marin Ireland is the way to go if you enjoy audio. She’s excellent and a pleasure to listen to.

Read This One Next:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22896.Practical_Magic  

Comments

  1. Yippee! I'm thrilled ou loved this. It's only about four books away from the top of my reading list and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a beautiful reading experience. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I really want to read Alice Hoffman! I don;t know why I have been procrastinating it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Telling them they shouldn't go for ominous reasons is basically shoving them there lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I would have ran all the way to my aunt's house if I had to if it had been me!

      Delete
  4. I loved Practical Magic and can't wait to read this one, too. There's just something about those Owens! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read your thoughts on it! It's sad and beautiful and I just love the writing so much.

      Delete
  5. I loved this book too! It was so magical and it was really hard to explain why I loved it so much. I remember devouring it when it was released and I grabbed it from the library. I read Practical Magic eons ago and don't remember loving it that much. Maybe I'll give it another go since I loved this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to reread Practical Magic too since I remembered nothing about it except the way it made me feel.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like I need this book in my life. I haven't read Practical Magic so I haven't looked at it too hard but since you say it can work as a stand alone I may have to change that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This can definitely be read without having read Practical Magical. You can also cheat and watch the lovely movie to get a feel for the storytelling.

      Delete
  7. Someday I will read this and Practical Magic. So glad it was a fab read for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia! Both are such beautifully told stories.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read Practical Magic, but I've seen the movie. This sounds like a good prequel. Although I agree with you, their mother went about everything all wrong and only made the kids want to do all those things and learn more lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got both Practical Magic and Rules of Magic at Christmas time. I need to get to them. Does it matter which order to read them??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rules is actually a prequel so you can read that one first.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Books, Movies, TV & Updates • July 1, 2023

In Darkness, Delight: Masters of Midnight edited by Andrew Lennon | Horror Fiction Review

Brainwyrms by Alison Rumfitt | Book Review