Doll Face by Tim Curran



Doll Face by Tim Curran, Horror Fiction
Six friends are returning home from a night out when they end up in a town called Stokes. They discover they are trapped there, as Stokes does not really exist. The actual town had burned to the ground more than fifty years ago. The Stokes they are in is a nightmare version of the former town, engineered by a deranged and undead mind, a supernatural machine of wrath that will destroy them one by one....unless they submit to its dominance and become living dolls.
DNF, here's why:
I requested this book from Netgalley and I am sad to say that I am going to have to DNF at the halfway mark. It may get better but it may not. All I know for certain is that I am just not having a good time with the story and I’m calling it done and moving on. You readers who revile the DNF review may want to click away now because that’s what you’re about to get here.

The intoxicated driver of a car filled with twenty somethings decides to take a shortcut home. You just know this won’t end well. And it doesn’t. They end up stranded in a town that no longer exists on any map and is inhabited by some very strange animated doll parts.

Sounds good to me and my hopes were high. I loved Curran’s book Blackout. But after a great beginning featuring some extremely well written creepy atmosphere, a diner straight out of hell, and several creatures that will haunt my dreams, it just sort of got stuck in a rut and lost me. I had trouble keeping track of the characters who decided to split up early and investigate and pretty much get what’s coming to them for being such stupid curious creatures. I didn’t get to know any of them well enough to like or dislike them and never felt the tension that comes when a character you love or despise has to face unimaginable horror. And thus I stalled and this is where I part ways with Doll Face. Sorry guys.


Comments

  1. LOL...I was already gone at Doll Parts! So sorry that this didn't live up to your expectations. Nothing worse than characters that are just too stupid to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this is one I will pick up after reading your review. I have issues with DNF'ing books enough without picking up one where the potential is there from the first moment. Plus if the characters are that annoying, I don't care to meet them in the first place :) Nothing like reading a book (or watching a movie for that fact) where you want everyone to die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know right? Lots of my friends loved this one but I just didn't :(

      Delete
  3. This sounds really cool, so that is a bummer that it fell flat for you and lost you. To many good ones out there to waste time getting lost in a book you are not interested in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. I used to finish everything even it took me months! Not anymore though. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between Naps (9)

It by Stephen King | A Retro Review

What I Learned While On A Blogging Break