#BookReview: Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough

This book was so good I didn't want it to end.


Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough
Thriller
Released January 2017
Amazon ♦ Goodreads
Louise is a single mom, a secretary, stuck in a modern-day rut. On a rare night out, she meets a man in a bar and sparks fly. Though he leaves after they kiss, she’s thrilled she finally connected with someone.

When Louise arrives at work on Monday, she meets her new boss, David. The man from the bar. The very married man from the bar…who says the kiss was a terrible mistake but who still can’t keep his eyes off Louise.

And then Louise bumps into Adele, who’s new to town and in need of a friend, but she also just happens to be married to David. David and Adele look like the picture-perfect husband and wife, but then why is David so controlling, and why is Adele so scared of him?

As Louise is drawn into David and Adele’s orbit, she uncovers more puzzling questions than answers. The only thing that is crystal clear is that something in this marriage is very, very wrong, but Louise can’t guess how wrong―and how far a person might go to protect their marriage’s secrets.

My Thoughts:

If you want to read Behind Her Eyes I recommend you avoid reading the reviews. This is one of those books that can be easily ruined for you if someone gives too much away and several reviewers have already done so. I had one of the reveals ruined for me this way and I’m still pissed at myself for being nosy and checking out that review. I don’t know why people feel the need to do that without marking things as a spoiler because it’s not that hard!

There will be no spoilers here and I will be annoyingly vague as hell.


Trust me, it’s for your own good.

This story revolves around three people. Louise is a single mom struggling with insecurities since her ex announced he’s having a baby with his newest lover. She works as a secretary at a doctor’s office. One night she meets a charming man named David at a bar. They share a drunken kiss but Louise is scared off when she realizes he’s married. Who needs that mess, right? Well, what seems like the very next day, she arrives at work to discover David is the newest doctor in the practice and she is now his secretary. She is embarrassed and a little tingly. He is so very handsome, after all. Surely he wouldn’t want her anyway, she thinks, after seeing his perfect wife. Speaking of his wife, her name is Adele and one morning Louise accidentally bumps into her so hard, the fragile beauty falls to the ground. Adele is kind and friendly and in desperate need of a friend and Louise is drawn to her and enjoys her company. But Adele’s friendship comes with a condition. Louise must never tell David about their friendship.

Why you ask? Well I am not going to tell you. This is only the very beginning of one of the most messed up love triangles I’ve ever encountered. It is glorious and it must not be spoiled.

I’m going to warn you that these people are not very likable. They’re pretty horrible actually and I loved every minute of their two-timing, backstabbing, secretive, lying, selfish selves. They are all up to no good, almost all the time and it never got tiresome. I was riveted, fascinated and whatever other adjective you can think of that means this book was one I did not want to ever stop reading. That rarely happens and when it does I’m giving that book five stars.

This is not your typical “girl on all the books” thriller and for that I am very thankful. I like some of those books but the world has its fill of them right now. This one is different. You’ll either love it for that reason or despise it. I believe Pinborough was a horror writer for the majority of her writing career (yep, confirmed it as I have several Leisure titles in my tbr bins) and it works to her advantage in this book. She knows how to craft a creepy story that is deliciously evil and unflinchingly dark through and through. If you enjoy reading about devious, screwed up people I think you will enjoy this. Many hate it for its ending but for me that ending tied it all in perfectly.




Comments

  1. I'm never drawn to books with crazy love triangles and unlikeable characters, but Pinborough's a good enough author to make me think about giving this one a try. I really liked her book, Mayhem. Have you ever read that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't and I don't think I own it. I'll have to add it to my list. I have a lot of her horror backlist from her Leisure days but haven't read them yet.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad this one isn't your typical thriller. I won a copy somewhere along the way but have never read it for fear I would be disappointed. However I read something else by this writer and absolutely loved it. Oh yea, it was The Language of Dying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it, Barb. I think you're going to like it.

      Delete
  3. You made curious. I would love to know why their friendship have to be kept secret from David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a reason and it all makes sense in the end but when I first started it I was all "He is SUCH a controlling dick" but it's way more than that. lol.

      Delete
  4. I have this book on my shelf. I didn't read your review because I want to follow your advice but the 5 star rating has me eager to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, no worries. I am not a spoiler! I hope you love it if you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  5. I've never been fond of love triangles, so I think I'll give this one a miss!
    Great review, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I despise love triangles but this is a deliciously evil one!

      Delete
  6. Someone spoiled this for you? Grrr. That makes me so mad! :( I'm glad you were able to enjoy it anyway. I thought it was fun! I love stories about... you know what. There was that one movie. You know the one. Haha. There's a Lovecraft tale with a similar plot that I really enjoyed, too.

    I feel like I'm having one of those annoying "inside joke" conversations right now! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, this is a book so easily spoiled. Nice side-stepping there :)

      Yeah, it's my fault for skimming goodreads reviews when I wasn't quite finished with the book. I'll never learn :(

      Delete
  7. Okay. Per instructions, not reading the review until I've read the book, which is now on the TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy. This sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't read love triangles or books with horrible characters so this would always be a non starter for me even if the genre interested me! I'm glad you found a good book to enjoy though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, I love me a miserable character! It makes me feel less crabby. But I couldn't take a steady diet of them.

      Delete
  10. That sounds really good. I love finding a book that's hard to put down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic. I wish all books worked for me this well.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a great thriller. I like how dark it sounds and how twisted the characters seem to be lol. Adding this to my thriller queue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy it, Greg. It is very twisted :)

      Delete
  12. Conventional thrillers don't usually work for me so I wonder if this one will. I might give it a try.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is very different. I'm typically bored by most thrillers but not this one. It was so creepy.

      Delete
  13. Not read this author but this book sounds interesting. I need to put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very dark. I hope you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  14. Omg I loved this one so much!!! I’m glad you did too. The end blew my mind lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sundial by Catriona Ward | Horror Fiction Review

Brainwyrms by Alison Rumfitt | Book Review

Books, Movies, TV & Updates • February 16, 2023