March's Mini Horror Reviews



I've been reading a lot of horror related things but posting them to Horror After Dark and The Ladies of Horror Fiction. I recently learned that a blog's SEO can take a terrible hit if the same review is cross-posted to more than one blog so I can't do that anymore. I don't care so much about my little personal blog here but I don't want to screw up things for the other two that I work on with other people. I'm going to combine the horror books in one post from here on out.

Here's what I've been reading (with one movie thrown in), in no particular order. Please let me know if like or dislike this new format and thanks for sticking with me while I figure all of this out!



While You Sleep by Stephanie Merritt

This is a gorgeously atmospheric story about a woman who takes a little vacation to escape her life and ends up in a rented home on the cliffs. It may or may not be haunted but there are certainly weird things happening! I didn't care for the protagonist of the story but I don't think I was supposed to fall in love with her. 3.75 Stars


The Tragedy Man by Staci Layne Wilson

This is another where I didn't fall in love with the main protagonist but I know in this case I wasn't supposed to! This dude was a PRICK but that fact only made the end so much sweeter, haha. It's about a writer who sells out and it comes back to bite him. 3 1/2 Stars



In the River by Jeremy Robert Johnson

If you want a truly grueling, gut-wrenching, heart destroying read this one is the one for you!I received this book in my monthly Night Worms box. I will never forget it but I will never be able to read it again. It's about a man and his boy and fishing trip that goes awry. I left my copy in a Little Free Library so someone else can get crushed! 5 Stars



The Between by Tananarive Due

This book had been sitting in my tbr pile in the basement for over a decade. If it wasn't for the Ladies of Horror Fiction Readalong it might still be sitting there! And that is shameful. This is a terrific read filled with vibrant characters and an earthy feel that kept me guessing from beginning to end. 4 Stars



My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite

I loved this book. It is a dark and funny and super twisted story about two sisters. One just so happens to have a bad habit of leaving dead bodies in her wake. 4 1/2 Stars 


Beast (film review)

This one, I believe, is a Shudder exclusive. It's a sexy and very dark tale of new love, secrets and murder! It's acted beautifully and has a slow pace.If you're a weirdo like me and like this sort of thing, give it a watch.  5 Stars

My full review is at Horror After Dark:  http://www.horrorafterdark.com/2019/02/beast-film-review/

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

This is my most beloved book in the entire world. I reread it for a Ladies of Horror Fiction group chat and loved it as much this time around as I did the previous three. Everyone else loved it too which was a relief. It's the story of two carnies in love who decide to create their family of freaks to increase traffic to their show. It's horrifying and terrifying and I think everyone should try to read it at least once. 5 Stars


Without Condition by Sonora Taylor

This book combines love and secrets and murder and tells the story of a young bullied girl and the long lasting effects it has on her life. It was my kind of book!  4 1/2 Stars

My full review is at Horror After Dark:  http://www.horrorafterdark.com/2019/02/without-condition-review/


I think that's all of them! Have you read/seen any of them? Or read something else scary that you adored? Let me know in the comments!










Comments

  1. Me and Melody just finished reading My Sister, the Serial Killer and I totally loved it. (Though I'm really glad Ayoola is not my sister.) And I like this format of short book reviews. I like seeing what you've been reading and that I can easily jump over and read your longer reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lark! I was surprised by how much I enjoyed My Sister, the Serial Killer. Usually when a book comes with a lot of hype I end up disappointed but not this time.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of them but In The River sounds really good from your description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard good things about My Sister, the Serial Killer & I love that first book pic!

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and yep, that's a good one. It's a fun serial killer book, if there ever was one!

      Delete
  4. These all sound so good! I have never heard that about cross posting, but I really like your new format. Definitely going to check out In the River!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy. I had no idea until I started with other bloggers. I've always cross-posted all of my stuff!

      Delete
  5. In the River- yikes! And While You Sleep sounds spooky too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have In The River on my to read list and it is getting close to the top! I like how you set this up. And I didn't know that about posting reviews on more than one blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess google will knock you way down in the search engines if they suspect you are using material posted elsewhere. I hadn't a clue! Good luck with In The River :)

      Delete
  7. I like the cover for The Tragedy Man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome list! I need to check some of these out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erica. I hope you find something good in there to read.

      Delete
  9. In The River sounds veryyy interesting to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so unique. I hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to read it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love, Theoretically by Ali Hazelwood | Audiobook Review

Bee Tornado by Chris Sorensen | Horror Fiction Review

Between Naps (7)