Bunny by Mona Awad Book Review

Have you read Bunny?!



Bunny by Mona Awad

Released June 11, 2019

Dark Fiction  |  Goodreads  |  Amazon 

Source: Received for Review Consideration

The Vegetarian meets Heathers in this darkly funny, seductively strange novel about a lonely graduate student drawn into a clique of rich girls who seem to move and speak as one

"We were just these innocent girls in the night trying to make something beautiful. We nearly died. We very nearly did, didn't we?"

Samantha Heather Mackey couldn't be more of an outsider in her small, highly selective MFA program at New England's Warren University. A scholarship student who prefers the company of her dark imagination to that of most people, she is utterly repelled by the rest of her fiction writing cohort--a clique of unbearably twee rich girls who call each other "Bunny," and are often found entangled in a group hug so tight they become one.

But everything changes when Samantha receives an invitation to the Bunnies' fabled "Smut Salon," and finds herself inexplicably drawn to their front door--ditching her only friend, Ava, a caustic art school dropout, in the process. As Samantha plunges deeper and deeper into the sinister yet saccharine world of the Bunny cult and starts to take part in their ritualistic off-campus "Workshop" where they magically conjure their monstrous creations, the edges of reality begin to blur, and her friendships with Ava and the Bunnies are brought into deadly collision.


My 2 Cents For Free!

This book is pure demented madness.

I loved it. I loved all of it and I think all of you weirdos should read it because you might just love it too. Just don’t ask me what it was about because I have no idea what the heck I just read and I am perfectly fine with that, haha!

I was in a huge book funk when my friend Emily recommend this book to me as a must read. She knows her stuff and I listened and it was exactly what I needed. I blew through this book in two days on audio and was so involved at one point that I walked into the shower with my headphones still in my ears. By some strange turn of fate, I did not fry my earbuds or what is left of my brain and now I think may shell out some bucks for water-proof earbuds because I think I just found myself a few more minutes of reading time!

I think you should go into this book as blind as possible and I’m not going to be the one to spoil any of its surprises and will keep it brief. Samantha is a graduate student working on her MFA degree. She has to go to “workshop” in order to complete her degree and, too bad for her, this workshop is infested with a cliquey group of young women who wear dresses with cupcakes and kittens on them, who only eat itty-bitty food and who twitter and coo and call each other Bunny. They ignored the darkling Samantha the previous year except to bitterly and cruelly critique her work. Samantha is pretty okay with the status quo because who the hell wants to be a Bunny?! But one day Samantha receives a rare and coveted invitation to one of their “Slut Salons” and isn’t sure what to do. But she’s as nosy as me, apparently, and against her better judgement she goes and the story pretty much goes batshit crazy from that point on and I couldn’t describe it if I tried. It truly has to be read to be believed. So go read it!

This book is surreal, deliciously evil, and wickedly funny and the writing is weirdly addictive. It’s getting all the stars because I loved every single twisted turn and madness infused word within its pages. You probably won’t know exactly what you’ve read once you finish it but I bet you’ll be happy you read it.

“The night is a dark earth I could dig my hands into forever.”

5 out of 5



Comments

  1. Just saying the words "bunny cult" totally makes me laugh. I have to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to read this review!! This has been on my list for a while (since I first saw the cover and fell in love) but I just haven't had time to read it. Now I'm on a mission:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a crazy book. I am thrilled to be able to pass the weirdness on to others :)

      Delete
  3. How can I not read this! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds fun, glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much sinister fun. Just what I needed at the time.

      Delete
  5. A 5/5 rating and "Pure demented madness." SOLD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I came to comment on this awesome sounding book and got side tracked by Jerome's vampire comment. It looks like Jerome is able to solve just about any problem you can think of :) I wouldn't email him - he might try to suck your blood.

    Back to the book. This sounds fabulous, Laurie! What on earth are you doing to my poor tbr pile. I need this one in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I didn't realize the Vampire(s) Lord could answer wishes. I think he's mixed himself up with Aladdin.

      Also, you do need this book in your life :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love, Theoretically by Ali Hazelwood | Audiobook Review

Bee Tornado by Chris Sorensen | Horror Fiction Review

Between Naps (7)