Hanging Around the Blogs: News & Reviews You May Have Missed #15



Inspired by "Around the Blogs with Chuckles". There are never enough hours in the day to be a creeper on all the blogs and social media outlets so here's a recap of some great posts, articles and news tidbits you may have missed while you were out living your life.

This week I have a few links, a little LOHF poll and some mini film reviews because I haven't been able to snoop on all the blogs as much as I'd like.


Random Fun & Some Twitter Stuff & Nonsense

Booker T's Farm
Barb at Booker T's Farm has some fun correcting book titles and I haven't laughed so hard in ages:
http://bookertsfarm.blogspot.com/2019/10/ttt-this-needs-new-title.html

Books, Bones & Buffy
Tammy has an interview with author Sharon Lynn Fisher and is hosting a Giveaway for a her new fantasy series! Check it out here.

On the Twitters:

I was alerted to this fun article from my friend Tracy. Bustle matches up your astrological sign with a must-read LOHF title and it's so much fun. Mine was also Fever Dream by Samantha Schweblin. Have any of you read it?


Yikes, the #WritingCommunity over on Twitter is not a healthy place for readers like me. What's your stance on five stars? Do they come easy to you or are you a meanie like me and give them out stingily? Although this year I seem to be giving them more often. I think I've maybe learned to quit books that bore/anger me and am finding better books as a result. I certainly haven't become a nicer person, lol.



Ladies of Horror Fiction News

Help us pick our November Goodreads group read by voting on our poll which ends at midnight!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/193321-which-lohf-book-would-you-like-to-read-most-in-november





Recommended Movies/TV

In The Tall Grass

This is a Netflix film based upon the fictional tale penned by Joe Hill and Stephen King which I haven't yet read. It started out strong but it ended up boring me after a bit. I think this would've played out better as a Creepshow episode but no one asked me. Two 20-something siblings stop by the side of the road and are lured into the tallest grass I've ever seen. Mayhem happens. I thought the beginning was pretty decent but it soon felt repetitive and confusing and I wished it were over. My husband loved it though, so what do I know? Maybe it's a guy thing as I was basically called crazy by a guy on Twitter for saying so! As if that's an insult to me, lol. At any rate, view it for yourself. I hope you love it and if you do I promise I won't call you crazy!


Call Me By Your Name

I know this one has been out for ages but I'm cheap and well, it's not horror so I put it off. We just ditched DirecTv and opted for a much cheaper streaming package with another provider and now we have Starz! This was a beautiful tale of awakening sexuality, first love and first devastating heartbreak. It's a lovely film with a gorgeous setting that will break your heart a little. I give it all the stars. Days later its breathtaking anguish and longing is still haunting me. Have you see it or read the novel it's based on? It is soooo very good too.Listen to the audio read by actor Armie Hammer who plays Oliver in the film.



Creepshow Episode 2: Bad Wolf Down/The Finger

Streaming on Shudder. They are doling out these episodes one at a time and I am SO impatient for them all!

My husband loved the Bad Wolf segment but it left me a little meh. I suppose I prefer my werewolves to be sexy. I know, I have a screw loose. This had Nazi's and prisoners and the best sort of revenge. It was good and it was bloody but it's not favorite of the series for me. 3 Stars

The Finger however was more my thing. It was so darkly fun and disturbing and the character says things that made me so happy he said them, lol. 5 Stars



Creepshow Episode 3: All Hallows Eve/The Man In The Suitcase

All Hallows Eve made me sad. It's about a group who go trick-or-treating but don't seem very happy about it. There is a reason for that. 4 Stars

The Man In The Suitcase: A young guy pick sup the wrong suitcase at the airport and brings it him. Inside he finds a crumpled up but very much alive man inside. When he tries to help him out of it, something amazing happens that leads to something terrible. This was a classic morality tale very reminiscent of the old EC horror comics from the 1950s.

I think I've said this before but if you get a chance to watch this series I think you should do so. It's really well done!

That's all for now. Read some books, watch some bad films and have a relaxing weekend, everyone!


Comments

  1. I hardly follow any authors so i usually only learn about these outbursts from you lol

    I just can't with them anymore and I ignore the whole thing and read/review however I want.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I absolutely love a book I will give it 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only give out five stars to books I love and want to re-read as soon as I'm done! I will never be guilted into giving out 5 stars by pleas from authors as I find that kind of begging distasteful and it may even lower my score by a star.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to have found more 5 star reads than normal this year, but I'm pretty stingy too. It's a shame some authors are so rude 😬 Thanks for linking up my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when bloggers share other bloggers posts!! I always find a post by someone I really enjoy following that I had missed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i read a lot of great books, so a five star has to give me something extra. and i think my mood has something to do with it too. if the book hits the spot when i really need it. lol
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you liked my alternative titles post. I found it to be harder than I anticipated. I also loved your comment about as if crazy is a bad thing. If it's any consolation, I didn't like In the Tall Grass either. I'm pretty sure I fell asleep at the end and my husband said it wasn't worth going back. I do hope to read the short story it came from and hope that can change things some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In The Tall Grass was disappointing for me. And I missed all that drama on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read Tall Grass. Also, Call Me By Your Name is freaking awesome. <3 I can't wait for the sequel to the book to come out tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Full Brutal by Kristopher Triana

Princess Miri by Cerys du Lys Retro Review

Got My Eye On (May 2018 #1)