My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix | Horror Fiction Review

Why did I wait so long to read this book (that I bought in 2016 😅)?


My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix

Released May 2016

Source: Purchased with my own $

Goodreads | Amazon

Abby and Gretchen have been best friends since fifth grade, when they bonded over a shared love of E.T., roller-skating parties, and scratch-and-sniff stickers. But when they arrive at high school, things change. Gretchen begins to act….different. And as the strange coincidences and bizarre behavior start to pile up, Abby realizes there’s only one possible explanation: Gretchen, her favorite person in the world, has a demon living inside her. And Abby is not about to let anyone or anything come between her and her best friend. With help from some unlikely allies, Abby embarks on a quest to save Gretchen. But is their friendship powerful enough to beat the devil?


My 2 Cents for Free!

I waited far too long to read this book and thought I had ruined the experience by watching the movie first but nah. I liked the movie well enough, but this book is so different. It really gets into the teen friendship dynamic, and the horror show that is being a teen and being a girl and dealing with so much it sometimes feels impossible to breathe. And it throws in a hugely terrifying thing (at least it always terrified me as a kid and teen) and runs wild with it.

The author really nails his characters here. The dialogue, the awful emotions, the heartbreak (I'm not going to spoil) all come through as genuine. Love the 80's pop song chapter titles. Loved most everything honestly. I have no complaints and no more thoughts because I just enjoyed it and didn't take nitpicky notes which I should do more often. Read it if you haven't already. I think you might like it.

⭐⭐⭐⭐


Comments

  1. Sounds like this was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it and am so glad I finally got around to reading it!

      Delete
  2. That tie in with the 80s makes me want to check this one out even more. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Darkness, Delight: Masters of Midnight edited by Andrew Lennon | Horror Fiction Review

Brainwyrms by Alison Rumfitt | Book Review

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn