Personal: My Sweet Buddy

The blogs I love best are those that tell me all about the latest and greatest books and movies but also a little something about the person/people behind the blogs. So here's a little something. Actually it's a big 80+ pound something.  I'm about to bring the room down so please feel free to skip by this one.



My sweet Buddy has a brain tumor. Ugh, a brain tumor. It hurts to write that.

He's been having seizures for the first time in his almost eleven years. The first happened about 8 weeks ago, the second last Monday and the third this Monday. Seizures are a scary thing. They make him blind and wobbly for a good 30 - 45 minutes and this last one kept him off his feet for almost an hour. He's had a long life of leisure and we have been truly fortunate to have had him with us for this long. He was originally my sister's dog but he landed with me when he was only 9 months old when she divorced her husband. He's always been the sweetest, goofiest dog, scared of his own shadow and will give his favorite bed up to any cat who wants it. I've always said he's a poor example of a golden retriever. He can't catch to save his life. He is one of those dogs you can toss a piece of chicken at and he'll manage to move his head the wrong direction so it beans him in the eye/ear/nose/forehead. Every time. He also never learned to swim. When he was younger, he'd walk across the shallow end of the pool on his two back legs and do the doggy paddle with his two front paws and think he was swimming. But he's also the best example of the breed, he's sweet, loyal and is always there to comfort you when you're sad. Golden's his size typically don't make it past nine years, I'm told. I had a smaller retriever who lived until 16 so I was hoping . . . but it isn't meant to be. He probably only has a few months left so for now he's getting all of the treats he wants and I'll take him on the trails for short walks as long as he is able. Give your pets a hug and an extra treat. Their lives are so damn short.

Here he is "sharing" his bed with Evil Kitty.

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear about your dog. :( That makes me so sad as I am a huge dog person. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stormi, it's always so sad when they start to decline and it never gets easier no matter how many dogs I lose :(

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh. My heart is breaking for yall. Seizures are really scary when it happens. Our black lab when I was in high school had them. Your boy just has the sweetest face and bless his heart with his lack of catching and swimming skills. That's too funny.


    I hope you end up having a lot more time than is expected and that you have many snuggles and good moments together. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna for your sweet thoughts. He is doing pretty good, just having some minor old man tremors, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and giving him lots of hugs.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It by Stephen King | A Retro Review

Between Naps (9)

Review: Dark Stars: New Tales of Darkest Horror edited by John F.D. Taff