Between Naps (7)


Between naps, this happened last week (and the week before):

New Reviews:  
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
Enchanted by Alethea Kontis
The Secret Life of Souls by Jack Ketchum & Lucky McKee
The Willows by Algernon Blackwood

Retro Reviews:
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King
Slush by Glenn Rolfe
Rise of the Thing Down Below by Daniel W. Kelly
Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin
Revival by Stephen King
Dark Horse by Tami Hoag
We Are All Completely Fine by Daryl Gregory
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

A New List
This time featuring Slow Burn Creepfests

Got My Eye On 
Featuring books I have to have after visiting some of my favorite bloggers

Challenge Sign-ups:
2017 Horror Challenge Signup & 2017 Audiobook Challenge Signup

Random Crap:
This is the Year I Face Reality: A discussion on the DNF & the TBR
Six Book Review Rules to Live By: Ignorable advice on writing reviews

What We've Been Up To 

Bud's Doing His Best Groucho Marx Impression

September Won the Battle of the Tree

  The tree is gone and is it ok to say that I am so relieved? That thing was the source of endless cat fights as they all attempted to claim it as their own property. Every night I'd be lulled into sleep with the the lovely, lilting screeches of my three alpha cats trying to beat each other into submission. Each morning I'd awaken to a fresh flurry of fur, pine needles and broken ornaments to clean up. So. Glad. It's. Gone.

♥  During my holiday stay-cation, I got a little crafty and turned my old, dusty mason jars bought during my candle making phase into tea light holders. Let me tell ya, this was so much easier than attempting to make actual candles. That hobby is not for the faint of heart. Or the lazy crafter (me). This one, however, is. All I had to do was wipe off that decade worth of dust, stick a little snowflake ornament on the big one, spray them down with the frosted Valspar paint, add a little tweeded yarn to the top and call it a day.  






 I intended to get a whole bunch of reading done. Instead I watched tv. I will give you a one word review because I'm lazy. Ghostbusters (ok), Black Mirror (effed up), Secret Life of Pets (cute), Hush (terrific), The Shallows (tense), The Age of Adeline (bittersweet & romantic), Westworld (effed up) and a bunch of other stuff that I have forgotten. I enjoyed them all for various and different reasons. 

Link Ups


Netgalley Binge

I'm continuing to keep my promise to myself and am staying away from this dangerous place. 



Ebook Buys

I, ummm, took advantage of a few sales these past few weeks. There are more but I'm getting tired. Yikes, I think I have problem. At least this is one I can easily hide.

The Season of Giving by [Gelique, Angel]The Making of a Monster by [Petersen, Gail]Angels on Fire by [Collins, Nancy A]Apocalypse by [Springer, Nancy]Tasted and Tempted by [Bliss, Chelle, Levine, Nina, Savage, River, Butler, Eden, Warren, Skye, Snow, Jenika, Gayle, Catherine, Louise, Tia, Czermak, Golden, Ryan, Carrie Ann]Rainbows and Sunshine... and Zombies by [Douglas, P.A.]Tempter by [Collins, Nancy A]Wetbones: The Authorized Edition by [Shirley, John]Chaingang by [Miller, Rex]Slob (Chaingang Book 1) by [Miller, Rex]Plastic Jesus by [Brite, Poppy Z.]Greys: Shattered Remnants by [Carlson, James]San Diego Horror Professionals: Vol 2: Holiday Special by [Thomas, Ryan C., Killian, Bryan, Essig, Robert, Stroup, Chad, Agranoff, David, Trevino, Anthony]The Scent of Hope by [Thomas, Ryan C.]Nine Minutes (The Nine Minutes Trilogy Book 1) by [Flynn, Beth]Legion's Lust by [Blackstrap, Samantha]Lot Lizards by [Garton, Ray]Trailer Park Noir by [Garton, Ray]Dark Channel by [Garton, Ray]Shackled by [Garton, Ray]

In the Mail



My PBS wishlist continues to send me the loveliest of surprises!

Now Reading
3271878728957353

I hope you all survived the holidays, if you celebrate them, and found some time for yourself to get some books read. Let me know what you're up to in the comments. I love to hear from you and will always visit back in return.

Comments

  1. I love your mason jars! Oh, I love Ray Garton. I'm sad I missed the sale. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I'm sorry you missed the deal :( It was amazing. I'll be sure and post a blog when I come across another great one.

      Delete
  2. My dad is desperate to watch Westworld but I don't have much interest in it so he's welcome to it! I have a PA Douglas zombie book waiting on my ereader but not this one. I like the sound of a few books by the author and will have to give it a try soon. I've got a few Ray Garton books to try as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I'd be interested in it. I told my husband I'd watch one episode meaning to pacify him. We ended up bingeing the whole series in a few days. I'm glad you were able to grab a few of the Garton's during the sale. Enjoy them!

      Delete
  3. OMG! Your fur babies are beautiful!!!

    I love the frosted mason jars you made! I might have to try that out myself!!

    Hope you love your giant book haul this week!!

    Amber @ Paradise of Pages
    My Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber, that craft was super easy. It took me a total of 10 minutes :)

      Delete
  4. Your fur babies are adorable. I hope you enjoy your new reads.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, now I just have to find time for some of those books!

      Delete
  5. Love the mason jar craft! Great book haul, and you are on a roll with staying away from Netgalley, wish I had your control. :)

    Stormi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best. I even went over there just now and didn't request a thing :)

      Delete
  6. Your dog and cat are just adorable! I hate having Christmas trees up in the house because they seem to just make a lot of work. I love your jar candles - they look great! Lots of new books but congrats on staying away from NetGalley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to see if I can get away with a "baby" tree next year. Less stress, less cleanup and less broken ornaments! I'll likely be outvoted though.

      Delete
  7. Your pets are so cute and that's a lot of great books you got!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronyell. I got a little greedy there with the sale :)

      Delete
  8. I love that cat graphic "I regret nothing" lol I burst out laughing when I sa that. Thanks for a good laugh! Nice Mason jar candles! I think I agree on Westworld (effed up) and the Sahllows (tense)- the others I haven't seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! That kitty pic really fit in perfectly with my greedy freebie haul. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

      Delete
  9. Mason jars make the best candles...and assorted other things, too. TBR jar, perhaps?

    I enjoyed Alice I Have Been...and I'm curious about SK's Revival.

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, if only I could fit some books there believe me I would :) Thanks for visiting my blog today :)

      Delete
  10. Love the idea that ebooks are hidden. Unfortunately, they tend to get lost on my Kindle too. Luckily, I add all new books to my LibraryThing account so that I can check to see if I got a copy or was just thinking about it. You can see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you are much better organized than I! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  11. Fun craft project! Enjoy your new ebooks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mason jars turned out so cute! My husband and I just finished watching "Westworld" recently and you're right about it being "effed up," though I guess just about every HBO show falls under that umbrella! ;) The plot was definitely intriguing, but I'm not sure I liked it enough to watch the next season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True most HBO shows do fall into that category :) Thanks for stopping by. I see you're a knitter too and just followed your blog.

      Delete
  13. What a great month. I hope to still watch The Secret Life of Pets and Hush, since you recommended it earlier. You dog is precious in that photo. Ours like to do the same thing and we always laugh and say they're smoking something. Your candles turned out awesome. I used to craft a lot but reading took over. Now, I'm mainly coloring some here and there and being obsessed with binge watching old TV series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny. He'll walk around like for an hour and eventually drop it and my other dog will eat it :) I've been thinking of picking up coloring but I have so many other projects started that I fear it'll take over and I won't finish anything.

      Delete
  14. Aw herd babes <3 The mason jars look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed your pet pictures and antics. The mason jars are wonderful!
    I have been pulled into NetGalley more than usual lately.
    Do I see a trend to dark books in those ebooks? Your mailbox books look like a nice mix. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Martha! Yeah, I tend to be drawn to the darker books but mix it up because too much darkness isn't good for anyone :)

      Delete
  16. I was quite happy when all the Christmas stuff could be taken down, too... I love Christmas, but think it's nice when the house is back to normal again, too :) It sounds especially stressful with the cats fighting over the tree, though o.O
    The frosted mason jars are so nice! Well done.
    You got SO many new books! I hope you'll love each and every one of them :)
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexxie! Now I find some time for all of those books. That's always the difficult part.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love, Theoretically by Ali Hazelwood | Audiobook Review

Bee Tornado by Chris Sorensen | Horror Fiction Review

Between Naps February 4 Edition