In An Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire Review

I haven't read the others (I know, I know!) but this one stands alone just fine.



In An Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire
Audiobook , 4+ Hours
Released January 2019
Goodreads | Buy A Copy Here 

Source: Library Borrow
This is the story of a very serious young girl who would rather study and dream than become a respectable housewife and live up to the expectations of the world around her. As well she should.

When she finds a doorway to a world founded on logic and reason, riddles and lies, she thinks she's found her paradise. Alas, everything costs at the goblin market, and when her time there is drawing to a close, she makes the kind of bargain that never plays out well.

For anyone . . .

These Are My Thoughts

In An Absent Dream is a prequel to a series of books I have not read so I’m walking in cold here.

The tale begins when a young girl spots a tree where previously there wasn’t one. The tree does some twists and contortions and a little door appears. On that door it says only, “Be Sure”.

Katherine is pretty sure she wants to step through that door so she does. Who could resist?! As you can guess, there are wonders on the other side of that door. Centaurs, cow people and girls who look almost human and the tastiest of pies! It’s a wonderland of freedom and choices and glorious sights free from the prying eyes of pesky parents and their expectations to form you into a proper wife. But then there are the rules. And the rules cannot be ignored. To ignore a rule is to lose a wee bit of what you makes you human and that is all I’m going to say about that.

This tale begins a little like a skewed Alice in Wonderland and it is completely enchanting. I loved Lundy. Young Lundy learned at the tender age of six that books are often better company than people and she wasn’t wrong, haha. She lives in a world that doesn’t value smarts in a girl and there are a lot of things written here worth chewing on.

“He shouldn’t have treated her like she didn’t matter. He shouldn’t have treated her like his idea of a girl.”

I loved watching Lundy grow and mature into a thoughtful and caring young lady. She faces some very tough choices and this book has some dark edges when the incorrect choice is made. I was a bit worried, as I always am when dipping my toe into the fantasy/YA world, that a boy would arrive and become the focus of the plot but it doesn’t happen here. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t dislike romance but I get testy when it is shoe horned into a story where it doesn’t belong. This story stays focused on friendship and family and obligation and there isn’t a wisp of forced romance no matter how hard you look.

I listened to this book as an audiobook narrated by Cynthia Hawkins. She does fine with all of the voices and changes her tone enough so you easily differentiate between the characters but her pace was just a wee bit slow for my liking and my player wouldn’t allow me to speed it up. Had I been able to pace it at 1.25 or maybe even 1.5 I think it would’ve been perfect.

If you enjoy a beautifully written modern day fairytale, this one is for you!

4 out of 5



Comments

  1. I loved this one as well but the second one, Down Among the Sticks and Bones, is the darkest and the best one in my opinion. Under the Sugar Sky is WAY too much like Alice so that one didn't work well for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I'm going to have to find them on audio!!

      Delete
  2. Love the sound of this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It transports you to another world. You will love it!

      Delete
  3. Now go read Every Heart a Doorway so you can see future Lundy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait! I'm going to see if I can grab it on audio.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like it would be an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. I don't read a lot of fantasy but this is definitely a great one!

      Delete
  5. I've got a few of her books )starting with Every Heart a Doorway) on my wish list for the library on audio.

    4 hours is a good audio length for me. lol


    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of excellent storytelling in those 4 hours too. I hope you love it! I need to get to reading the other books in the series.

      Delete
  6. I wasn't too sure about this one until I read your review. Might be one I'd like:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed stepping into the fantasy world McGuire created.

      Delete
  7. I keep saying I'm going to dive into these. Glad to hear this one works as a standalone!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It by Stephen King | A Retro Review

Between Naps (9)

Review: Dark Stars: New Tales of Darkest Horror edited by John F.D. Taff