Nothing But Mini Reviews #1

July/August/September Mini Reviews

Because I am nothing if not lazy!

Here's a bunch of other stuff I've read recently(ish).  This post as been kicking around in my drafts since early summer. They're mostly audio and I often get lazy with my audio reviews because my memory is not good and I really should take notes but that would require me to do so while I'm driving or cooking or walking the dog and that's just not going to happen unless I grow another arm and eyeballs on the back of my head.



Lock Every Door

Lock Every Door by Riley Sager

I listened to this book on audio and it kept my attention, kept me guessing, had a lovely creepy-vibe and perfectly drawn setting and characters who didn't annoy me. I liked the main character a lot and recommend it to anyone looking for a thriller with some chills thrown in. It would make an amazing film.

This is not a real review. Sorry it has been a lonnng week and I did not take notes and my brain is full of nonsense and will not spit out words.

4 Stars


Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey through His Son's Addiction

Beautiful Boy by David Sheff

This is a grueling and sad account of a family torn apart when a beloved son with a promising future becomes addicted to alcohol and meth (one of the worst of all drugs because it permanently alters your brain). I read this after watching the grueling and heartbreaking movie of the same name. I am again filled with sadness for all of them. Why did I do this to myself?! Now I'm off to listen to the son's account because I crave more torture, apparently.

5 Stars


Where All Light Tends to Go

Where All Light Tends To Go by David Joy

I listened to this book about a young guy caught up in a life he doesn't want. He sees no way to get out of it and is forced to participate in some ugly, dark (and never wonderful) things. I felt for this poor guy so much. I listened on audio, didn't take notes and can't write a review because my brain has big holes in it. I'll re-listen at some point and write up a proper review but for now all I can say is read it if you like awesomely written books about people stuck in dire circumstances where a happy ending is the longest of long shots possible.

4 Stars


The Alice Network

The Alice Network by Kate Quinn

This was a fascinating read. Well, some of it was fascinating. There are two timelines and one timeline is far more grip-you-by-the-throat good than the other (which is a romance, really, about a privileged young thing named Charlie trying to find a missing cousin). The other is set during the German occupation and is about a network of lady spies risking it all for their country. If the book had been all about Eve (the spy) and not constantly interrupted by Charlie's inane story, it would've earned all five stars. As written, grumpy me is giving it a four. Yell at me if you have to but that won't change my mind, lol.

4 Stars

Pet Sematary

Pet Sematary by Stephen King

This book murdered me and all of my emotions and it is getting all the stars. This was a reread because I like to indulge in a bit of self-torture every now and again. I originally read it as a teen and remember it scaring me but this time it scared me on an entirely different level and broke my heart so many times. King is a master at characterization and at grief. You know these people, you understand why they do what they do even when you're brain is screaming "No, no, Noooooooo don't do it" but they do not listen. I was reading another book with similar themes at the same time as this relisten and it was striking to me how much better King did the people. I think every horror fan needs to do themselves a favor and read this book, if you haven't already.

Also, if you listen on audio get the version narrated by Michael C. Hall AKA Dexter. He is amazing.

5 Stars





That's all for now. Have you read any of them? Let me know in the comments!










Comments

  1. My brain can't retain much info about the books I read so note taking as I read is vital, even though it's annoying at the time. It works because I'm either reading physical or digital but I can see why audio would be a big problem for notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, no notes, no review usually. I've been trying to be better about jotting down thoughts on audios but it makes it more of a chore to have to have to stop it to write.

      Delete
  2. "I like to indulge in a bit of self-torture every now and again." I love it. I can always count on you for a chuckle. I read this a long time ago and do want to reread it sometime but you know, time and all that :) I think they ruined the new movie though. The first one wasn't awesome but the second one really bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a bummer about the new movie. I'll wait for Netflix or Shudder. I'm not in any kind of rush about seeing it after all of the reviews came out.

      Delete
  3. Me and Melody are going to read Lock Every Door for our next buddy read. Pet Sematary is also one I really want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOooh, I hope you enjoy it! It creeped me out! (both of them, actually)

      Delete
  4. Wow lots of depressing stuff! Although I have to say I really want to read/see Beautiful Boy and read Where All Light Tends to Go now. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment too??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh both version of Beautiful Boy are so grueling but I highly recommend them. Just prepare yourself :)

      Delete
  5. I want to read more of Sager's books. And I just finished watching the new Pet Sematary movie tonight. The book sure creeped me out years ago, as did the first movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for cable for the new Pet Sematary movie. I was excited about it at first but it seems to be a misfire from everything I"ve read :(

      Delete
  6. i thought your reviews were great. i am having trouble with audio too, but a lot of mine is distraction when i'm listening. i don't know if i'll ever get the hang of it, but i'm not giving up yet
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give up! Maybe you haven't found the right one yet. It took me awhile to train my brain listen and do other things. Sometimes I still find myself rewinding but without audio I'd be lost.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful Boy sounds like it would be an emotional read.
    I've seen Pet Sematary before but haven't read it. I like the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so emotional. A really rough read but I think an important one.

      Delete
  8. Ack. I want to read Beautiful Boy but I fear it will break me. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not an easy one. Make sure you have something light and fluffy nearby.

      Delete
  9. I LOVED Lock Every Door!! I also just read Pet Sematary this year, but I'd love to listen to the audio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved it too. It really surprised me. I honestly went in not expecting much and it wowed me with its secrets.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between Naps (9)

It by Stephen King | A Retro Review

What I Learned While On A Blogging Break