Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand Book Review

This was a Ladies of Horror Fiction Goodreads Group Read. Our next pick is Wilder Girls by Rory Power and it starts today (join us if you can!).



Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand

Released October 2019

Dark Fiction  |  Goodreads  |  Amazon 

Source: Purchased With My Own $
Beware of the woods and the dark, dank deep.

He’ll follow you home, and he won’t let you sleep.

Who are the Sawkill Girls?

Marion: the new girl. Awkward and plain, steady and dependable. Weighed down by tragedy and hungry for love she’s sure she’ll never find.

Zoey: the pariah. Luckless and lonely, hurting but hiding it. Aching with grief and dreaming of vanished girls. Maybe she’s broken—or maybe everyone else is.

Val: the queen bee. Gorgeous and privileged, ruthless and regal. Words like silk and eyes like knives, a heart made of secrets and a mouth full of lies.

Their stories come together on the island of Sawkill Rock, where gleaming horses graze in rolling pastures and cold waves crash against black cliffs. Where kids whisper the legend of an insidious monster at parties and around campfires.

Where girls have been disappearing for decades, stolen away by a ravenous evil no one has dared to fight… until now.

My 2 Cents For Free!

“Theirs was not a world that was often kind to women.”

Sawkill Girls is the story of three teenage girls who come together to face an ancient evil. It’s also about friendships and families and duty and the daily aches and pains and confusion that teenagers face.

Marion, her sister and her mom have relocated to Sawkill to start a new life after the death of the girls’ father. Sawkill is an isolated place inhabited by mostly wealthy people but Marion seems ready to start anew but things go so terrible wrong.

Zoey’s best friend is one of many girls who have disappeared on Sawkill. Zoey isn’t towing the line spouted by the residents who aren’t terribly alarmed by the disappearance. They assume she fell off a cliff and leave it at that. Zoey won’t let things go even when her police officer father insists she must. She snoops and she sniffs out trouble!

Val is the town beauty. The high school Queen Bee whose “smile was made of diamonds and bee stings”. Everyone falls under Val’s spell except for Zoey. Zoey blames Val for the loss of her missing friend.

So those are the girls. How they interact and the things that are uncovered make up the rest of the story and I was hooked for the first 2/3’s. There were some truly creeptastic scenes here, especially those with the devilish little “boy”. The atmosphere is also fantastic. The island breathes dread, drips spiders (ahhh!) and the reader is kept off kilter for quite a bit. I loved that. The writing is engaging and the characters are multi-faceted and, best of all, no one person is terrible and no one person is perfect. I loved that too. The only thing that I didn’t love was the insta-love relationship between two of the characters that seemed to have no believable build-up beforehand. I get it. They’re teens and lust happens but this didn’t feel real. Give us a little build-up first! There wasn’t any attraction noted before the big kiss. That always bugs me and feels like a cheat.

Somewhere around the 2/3 mark things started to drag for me. I’m guessing it’s because the action took over and I’m not a huge action fan so this is on me and my personal preferences. I’d easily recommend it to someone looking for a young adult horror novel with well-drawn characters. I'm giving it a three which means "I liked it" according to the Goodreads scale.

3 out of 5



Comments

  1. I have this on my Kindle. Think I grabbed it when it was on sale knowing I'd want to read it one day. I've heard mixed things and you know, action isn't always the favorite part of books for me either. And reading your review something crossed my mind. Is it even insta-LOVE when they are teens. How many teens really know what love is anyway. Ok, there's my thought for the day. I'll have to keep pondering it but I bet it shows up in my next applicable review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that is a thought to ponder. It's true. Maybe it should be called insta-lust, haha.

      Delete
  2. That sounds good although probably not a book for me. Thanks for the great review of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wondered if this one is any good. And most of it sounds like a great read...except for the instalove. I can always do without that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was the big thing that bothered me. Lots of people are loving it though.

      Delete
  4. I thought this was pretty good, although I don't remember much about so I'd have to reread my review to remember specifics, lol. I did love the creepy atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The atmosphere was fantastic and I'll definitely read her work in the future.

      Delete
  5. I have this one and plan to get to it some day. So many books to read........ LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same issue. Too many books, never enough time.

      Delete
  6. creeptastic....sounds like one for me
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very atmospheric novel, it seems like. Definitely reading this when I'm in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does sound atmospheric. Sorry it dragged towards the end though. It does sound like a creepy read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ok. I'm not a huge action fan and that's where it started to lose me but many are and they are loving it.

      Delete
  9. Ugh, the dreaded instaluv!!! It can really bog down a book! Ironically I'd like the bit that dragged for you as I like the action bits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love the last 1/3 :) But you'd have to deal with the instaluv first.

      Delete
  10. I'm an action fan, but none of it worked well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad it wasn't only me but they can't all be amazing I suppose.

      Delete
  11. AH! Darnit... I hate insta-love and when books start to drag... Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, this does have both. Lots of folks love it though so maybe grab it from the library.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sundial by Catriona Ward | Horror Fiction Review

Brainwyrms by Alison Rumfitt | Book Review

Books, Movies, TV & Updates • February 16, 2023