Wilder Girls by Rory Power Book Review

Behind that beautiful cover is a book filled with glorious body horrors!



Wilder Girls by Rory Power

Released July 2019

Dark Fiction  |  Goodreads  |  Amazon 

Source: Purchased With My Own $
It's been eighteen months since the Raxter School for Girls was put under quarantine. Since the Tox hit and pulled Hetty's life out from under her.

It started slow. First the teachers died one by one. Then it began to infect the students, turning their bodies strange and foreign. Now, cut off from the rest of the world and left to fend for themselves on their island home, the girls don't dare wander outside the school's fence, where the Tox has made the woods wild and dangerous. They wait for the cure they were promised as the Tox seeps into everything.

But when Byatt goes missing, Hetty will do anything to find her, even if it means breaking quarantine and braving the horrors that lie beyond the fence. And when she does, Hetty learns that there's more to their story, to their life at Raxter, than she could have ever thought true.

My 2 Cents For Free!

I’m not the hugest fan of books marketed as young adult. I have absolutely nothing against them but I’m no longer the target audience for them, I suppose, so I don’t actively seek them out. This is where reading friends come in. I will always make an exception when several friends assure me that “you will like this one”. That’s how I ended up reading Wilder Girls. It also won the group read poll for the Ladies of Horror Fiction November group read so I had to read it anyway, haha. Fortunately for me, it was excellent and gory and the teens here were smart and not navel gazing, annoying, love-struck fools. There was no time for that in a story such as this and I will die on this hill! Also, don’t take any of my statements seriously. I am a fickle reader and I may fall back in love with YA next month or possibly tomorrow.

This is a weird book. The best kind of weird. It starts off in the thick of things, months after something called the Tox has infected all of the flora, fauna and the surviving residents at a remote (isolated island kind of remote) all-girls’ boarding school. The students, a headmistress and a young teacher have been quarantined and survive with the help of supply drop-offs provided by the military as they await a cure that the Navy promised “is coming”. The infection is what is weird as it physically changes them, its symptoms are different from person to person and it is always gory and gruesome and extremely painful. If body horror is your thing, this book is probably meant for you!

Hetty, Byatt and Reese are the main characters in this story and are struggling to survive each flare-up of the Tox, while looking out for each other and ferreting out secrets. And there are many secrets. Things are not at all what they seem and that’s all I’m going to say about that.

These characters are all complicated as are their relationships with each other. There is no insta-love in this book because in this story nothing comes easy and I can’t express how very much I appreciated that. These girls have dealt with many tragedies and trauma and live in fear but somehow manage to keep it together, taking the changes in their bodies as they come and never complaining about it.

Typically I’m the type of reader who wants all of her questions answered. This book spends its pages slowly doling out information and leaving you wondering what the hell is truly happening for most of the book and, in the end, not giving you any concrete answers. Arggghh. My nosy self is having a fit right now, not going to lie, but sometimes it is best to think on a book and this is one of those books. I am torn between wanting a sequel and not wanting all of the mysteries revealed in another book. As I said, this is a weird one and some things should simply stay weird without getting explained away.

4 ½ stars to this brutally raw and imaginative book. It is an incredible debut and I’ll definitely be reading this author again – sequel or no sequel!

4 1 /2 out of 5



Comments

  1. This sounds great. I have no doubt that if some weird illness befalls us there will be a lot of secrets that we don't know about too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read a lot of YA any more either, but I do have this one on my list. Everything about it intrigues me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this is on my list for the LOHF February Readathon - I'm looking forward to it! I was hesitant, because like you, I don't really go for YA stuff usually, but after reading your review I'm feeling a much more hopeful about it. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like everything that you said about this one. I am off to put my name on the list at my library for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is s book I regret not reading last year. I have a feeling I'll love it too😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. i saw another great review for this one. i think it sounds fabulous and would fit right in with my reading style.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  7. It wouldn't be for me. Plot sounds interesting but not the relationships!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a friend who HATED this book because of the end and was text yelling at me the entire time lol

    I'm glad you enjoyed it though!

    Karen @ For What It's worth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between Naps (9)

What I Learned While On A Blogging Break

It by Stephen King | A Retro Review