Recent Mini-Reviews

 

Recent Mini Reviews

Sometimes the less said the better. Or sometimes I'm just feeling lazy.


Red, White & Royal Blue

Camp Scare by Delilah S. Dawson

⭐⭐⭐⭐

I had some trouble with The Violence by this writer (wrong book/wrong time) but I highly recommend Camp Scare to middle schoolers and to anyone that likes a creepy campground setting and stories about growing up as an outcast and standing up for yourself even when people refuse to believe you. It's about bullying, and mean girls and creepy goings-on and I could not stop listening.








The Herd

Under the Whispering Door by T.J. Klune

⭐⭐⭐⭐

This is a warm tale of second changes after you've effed up your first. Hey, it happens.

I enjoyed it so much. It's cozy, sweet, snarky, funny and also so very sad at times. It felt a little overlong on audio but that might just be me but I never felt the urge to quit because I needed to know how this ended for all of these people I'd become so invested in.








A Gentleman Never Keeps Score

Yours Cruelly, Elvira: Memoirs of the Mistress of the Dark by Cassandra Peterson

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

This felt very honest. Lots of wild moments (what a life this woman led as a teen/young woman) but there are also a lot of hard times and trauma revealed too. And LOTS of gossipy fun, lol. Very much recommended if you're a fan.










⭐⭐⭐⭐


This is a beautifully written book brimming over with sorrow and despair. I love the way Tiffany McDaniel writes and that she doesn't ever flinch away from the darkest corners of humanity but I also hate it because it leaves me feeling terrible about the things people do to each other. On the Savage Side is about two twin sisters born into this world that discards women without a care. Their parents are neglectful due to their addictions but their love for their grandmother and each other help make life bearable. For a little while, at least. I don't want to say more and spoil anything but if you've read this author previously you know what you're in for when you crack open this book. I need to go read something fluffy now before the pit of despair swallows me whole.



All 4 and 5 stars so yay me!

Have you read any of them? Or read something else that you want the world to read? Let me know in the comments!






Comments

  1. I think the Elvira memoir is something that I could read since I've been watching her since I was a kid and I've always loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the camping one... perfect for this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Under the Whispering Door, too. Maybe someday I'll be in a headspace brave enough to read more Tiffany McDaniel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, McDaniel likes to ruin her readers. I had to hold off on reading it until I was ready but honestly one is never ready for that kind of emotional trauma.

      Delete
  4. On the Savage Side was so hard to read, but I ended up loving it. Not sure I can read any more of her books though, after being gutted by this one and Betty. The Elvira book sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for so many good books in a row! The camping one appeals to me as does Under the Whispering Door. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Delicate Condition by Danielle Valentine | Horror Fiction Review

Brainwyrms by Alison Rumfitt | Book Review

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn