The Forgotten Island by David Sodergren | Horror Fiction Review
Dummies meet ancient monsters and chaos ensues!
I’m pretty sure I’m finished with ARC reading for a good long while (once I finish my last one, that is). You people can have at ‘em. They have put me in a slump for the last time. I have a ton of books sitting here that have been sitting here for years and years collecting dust and sadness because I keep thinking I need to read the newest books for some ridiculous reason. I started reading The Forgotten Island while also reading some ARC’s and had to keep putting this down to finish those first when all I really wanted to do was finish this one. My family bought this for me when it was first released in 2018. 8 damn years ago. Ugh. Anyhow, don’t be me. Read the books you’ve been gifted and the books that you own instead of forcing yourself to read books because you feel like you have to. These slightly older releases need to be talked about too.
I’ve read two of David Sodergren’s books and loved the horror cultish B movie feel of them. There aren’t enough books being written like this anymore or maybe I’m just missing them which is possible since as much as I try I can’t read them all. If you know of similar ones tell me their names in the comments please!
The Forgotten Island starts out strangely when disaster strikes a crew working to develop land into a tourist trap for some rich people looking to make a buck on a deserted island and sets up the story to follow. I think some modern day Richie Rich’s need to read this book or nah don’t tell ‘em, lol. You don’t really find out what happens (until near the end) but it’s terrible and affects everything that happens in the story. Several years later a group of dummies on a visit to Thailand get drunk, strip down to their undies and hop on someone’s boat for fun times. The fun times are cut short when they start careening straight towards The Forbidden Island where the heat is relentless and the undies aren’t protection against bug bites and, uh, other things!
I mean, this guy definitely would’ve done a better job guiding the ship anywhere but THERE, le sigh.

But without drunkard dummies we would have no fun story!
I keep calling them dummies but that’s not entirely true. They are not all spectacularly dim. A few are, for sure, and several of the so-called “men” are reprehensible creatures who deserve what they get (if you're asking me) but there are some complex relationships and characters here that I enjoyed following. There’s even one sweet local guy who steps in to help for money but also because he’s just a decent guy. I loved this mix of complicated characters and messy relationships and my worry for the little pug onboard a smaller boat was never-ending. Note to all who are sick to death of dog death in horror novels THE PUG LIVES. The people? Well, not-so-much.
I’m skirting around the actual story because I want anyone who wants to read it to discover the dark goodies for themselves. I’m just going to say that once they make it to the island things get pretty grody. There are some well-earned disgusting deaths and loads of action and well described pain, brutality and endless suffering.
I loved it all and I hope you do too if you get a chance to read it. 4 1/2 Stars
Final Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/2
Publisher Plot Synopsis
When Ana Logan agrees to go on holiday to Thailand with her estranged sister Rachel, she hopes it will be a way for them to reconnect after years of drifting apart.
But now, stranded on a seemingly deserted island paradise with no radio and no food, reconciliation becomes a desperate fight for survival.
For when night falls on The Forgotten Island, the dark secrets of the jungle reveal themselves.
Something is watching them from the trees. Something ancient. Something evil.
Combining the cosmic horrors of H.P. Lovecraft with the grimy sensibilities of the Video Nasties, The Forgotten Island is an outrageous old-school horror novel packed with mayhem and violence.


Comments
Post a Comment