Graphic Novel Review: X-Files Classics: Ground Zero by Kevin J. Anderson

X-Files Classics: Ground Zero
3 of 5 stars
This graphic novel is an authorized adaptation of a bestselling X-Files novel that I haven’t read. The book may be awesome but I’ll never know because I have too much to read and this version was a little “meh” for me. I’ve always preferred the monster of the week stories to the gov’t conspiracy plots. I guess this one is a little of both but it just didn’t thrill me.

The opening panel features a group of protesters surrounding a research facility. Apparently the evil scientist inside is up to no damn good. The scientist gets a suspicious package in the mail containing a vial of black powder and, uh oh, the lights start flickering, his skin goes all tingly and KABOOM! He’s frizzle fried just like that.

Enter Scully and Mulder on the scene. They start poking around because this is an X-Files book and the scientist’s death is a wee bit abnormal.  They don’t get very far though because the scientist’s project is top secret and the military intends to keep it that way.  Two more weird deaths occur in the same manner and Scully and Mulder are hot on the scene.


Oops, sorry. Wrong book. There’s none of that going on I’m sad to say. We do get to see Scully in some lead undies though.


You’re welcome.

Anyway, it turns out that a group of skeezy scientists are far too anxious to test out their nuclear experiment called “Bright Anvil”, whatever the eff that is, on far away islands they up and declare uninhabited without really double checking. Turns out this isn’t the first time they’ve done something like this and you can bet it will come back to haunt them . . .

There are some panels featuring science mumbo jumbo about a warhead that operates beyond the laws of physics or something that honestly just hurt my head. Most anyone will likely understand it better than I.

Mostly I found it a little boring and lacking in scares and/or humor and there wasn’t enough Mulder/Scully dialogue to hold my attention.


Maybe the next one will be more fun?


Keep your fingers crossed for me!


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sundial by Catriona Ward | Horror Fiction Review

Brainwyrms by Alison Rumfitt | Book Review

Books, Movies, TV & Updates • February 16, 2023