So Thirsty by Rachel Harrison | Horror Fiction Audiobook Review

This was a pretty good vampire novel.

So Thirsty by Rachel Harrison

Released September 2024
Source: Audible Purchase
See more @ Goodreads

This was a readable, reasonably entertaining vampire novel. There are some funny moments and a few irritating ones but I think maybe I've read too many angsty vampire novels at this point in my life because much of the horror bits felt familiar which is fine. Not every book has to be earth shattering and boundary breaking. It's a good book to fall into if you want help forgetting the world for a little bit.

Sloan is absolutely dreading her birthday. She's turning 36 or 37 or somewhere around there (sorry, I didn't write it down) anyhow she's NOT OLD but she doesn't care to celebrate another year of her eyelids drooping and her hands turning from youthful to "witchy". Woman, embrace that shit. Use those hands to scare off annoying kiddies and men! Anyhow, she's too caught up in all of that stuff but it doesn't help that she's married to a man who is a selfish ass. He doesn't care about her wants or her feelings and instead sends her away on a trip with her best friend to celebrate while he stays home to do whatever. It turns out to be the best thing he ever did for her, imo.

Sloane and Naomi, who still acts like she's 20, meet up and Sloane is talked into going to a party with a group of sexy strangers. There she meets a Lestat looking type and her life will forever be changed and you can probably figure out the rest for yourself.

I didn't care for Sloane and all of her no one looks at me anymore/woe is me stuff and Naomi is a typical wild child who grated on some of my nerves but did manage to push Sloane's boundaries. At times I wondered why they were even bothering to remain friends but then there were moments where I saw the genuine love between them. A lot of books don't bother with those moments and I really appreciated that here.

It’s a little annoying, a little fun and a little grisly. The audio was well paced and well done but I think the narrator made Naomi's exclamations even more annoying than they might've been had I read it in paper, lol.

Final Rating:  ⭐1/2


Publisher Plot Synopsis 

A woman must learn to take life by the throat after a night out leads to irrevocable changes in this juicy, thrilling novel from the USA Today bestselling author of Such Sharp Teeth and Black Sheep.

Sloane Parker is dreading her birthday. She doesn’t need a reminder she’s getting older, or that she’s feeling indifferent about her own life.

Her husband surprises her with a birthday weekend getaway—not with him, but with Sloane’s longtime best friend, troublemaker extraordinaire Naomi.

Sloane anticipates a weekend of wine tastings and cozy robes and strategic avoidance of issues she’d rather not confront, like her husband’s repeated infidelity. But when they arrive at their rental cottage, it becomes clear Naomi has something else in mind. She wants Sloane to stop letting things happen to her, for Sloane to really live. So Naomi orchestrates a wild night out with a group of mysterious strangers, only for it to take a horrifying turn that changes Sloane’s and Naomi’s lives literally forever.

The friends are forced to come to terms with some pretty eternal consequences in this bloody, seductive novel about how it’s never too late to find satisfaction, even though it might taste different than expected.


Comments

  1. I've got this one on my TBR list, but I want to read Cackle first.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Horror Novella Review: The Secret Skin by Wendy N. Wagner

One Yellow Eye by Leigh Radford | Horror Fiction Review

PSA: I Might Not Like Your Book And That's Okay