Audio Review: Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry

Ghost Road Blues
2 of 5 stars
Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I am going to be the party pooper again. Many of my friends enjoyed this story but as much as I tried (and, boy, did I ever try) I could not fall into this book.

 photo CRAP_zpsbicc5ozv.gif

Part of the problem was the narrator. His voice was gravelly and deep and it suited some of the characters but it grated on me. Sorry but it’s true. It’s a personal thing and I know this. You may love his manly voice but it didn’t do it for me. His female voices were nothing short of atrocious and unnatural and I am not apologizing for that.

But the other part of my problem was the story itself. I can usually get past a not-so-fantastic narrator if the story grabs me but, try as I might, I could not stay focused on this story of violence (mainly) perpetrated by awful men. Spending time in the heads of these despicable fellows was not a fun time and I guess I just wasn’t in the mood for it because I found it slow and uninteresting and I didn’t find it even a wee bit scary. I enjoyed the small town setting but the awful things going on and around there just left me kind of numb and very bored. I didn’t care for any of the characters and that is always a big problem for me so I more than likely won’t be continuing on with the series.

2 1/2 Stars


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sundial by Catriona Ward | Horror Fiction Review

Brainwyrms by Alison Rumfitt | Book Review

Books, Movies, TV & Updates • February 16, 2023