The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

22718041
The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
Audiobook, Horror Fiction  460 Pages
Melanie is a very special girl. Dr. Caldwell calls her "our little genius."

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be taken to class. When they come for her, Sergeant keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.

Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children's cells. She tells her favorite teacher all the things she'll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn't know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad.

The Girl with All the Gifts is a sensational thriller, perfect for fans of Stephen King, Justin Cronin, and Neil Gaiman.
I listened to this as an unabridged audiobook loaned out via Overdrive and read by Flinty Williams who has the most lovely, lilting accent. I read this cold and I think it best if you do so too so this is going to be super brief.

Things start off a little weird and I like weird so I was hooked. It seems that children are being overseen by military men who keep them locked in cells, removing them only for their school lessons, but only after they’ve been strapped into wheelchairs. Ummm, what the hey is going on here?

I’m not going to tell you. But when you figure it out it’s rather unsettling to say the least. Sassy cats say it best.



The dulcet tones of Flinty Williams, along with the intriguing beginning, grabbed me but it was the humanization of the characters that kept me going even when some poo hits the fan and things started to get a little too bogged down in survival action for my personal liking.

This was a fantastic story with excellent characterization and a beginning I loved and adored though I do wish more time had been spent at the “school”. You’ll probably despise some of  the characters as I did but what’s an adventure without a few baddies? BORING, that’s what! From the beginning, you can’t help but sympathize with Miss Justineau and Melanie and they are two characters who will linger with me for a while.

There’s even some fun bits of sarcastic dialogue amidst all of the fear, anxiety and fighting for their lives. And who can't use a little sarcasm in their lives?

I will leave you with my favorite line.

“Do I have to punch you in the head again?”

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. Sounds like an interesting read. I will put it on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear it's going to be a film soon! I hope you enjoy it Stormi.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm maybe not the one for me but I'll have to check out the narrator and see what else he has to offer :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It didn't take me long to guess what was going on-a chapter at most. I loved this different take on one of my favourite genres and I very much enjoyed the whole book. Looking forward to seeing the film!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between Naps (9)

It by Stephen King | A Retro Review

What I Learned While On A Blogging Break