Worship Me by Craig Stewart

Feeling too good about life? This book will change your tune :)


Worship Me by Craig Stewart
Hardcore Horror Fiction 
Released July 2017
Amazon ♦ Goodreads
Something is listening to the prayers of St. Paul's United Church, but it's not the god they asked for; it's something much, much older. A quiet Sunday service turns into a living hell when this ancient entity descends upon the house of worship and claims the congregation for its own. The terrified churchgoers must now prove their loyalty to their new god by giving it one of their children or in two days time it will return and destroy them all. As fear rips the congregation apart, it becomes clear that if they're to survive this untold horror, the faithful must become the faithless and enter into a battle against God itself. But as time runs out, they discover that true monsters come not from heaven or hell... ...they come from within. 

My Thoughts:

We all need a little darkness in our reading lives, if only to escape the darkness of reality, right? Well, I sure do and this book was gruesomely dark, unrelentingly evil and I loved nearly every black page but especially those where selfish hearted people meet their demise most painfully.

Does that make me evil too?

The story begins when a horrible wife abusing man named Rick finds his bliss while praying to a structure in the woods. That structure houses The Behemoth, the one and true God, the God of hellfire, damnation and exquisite pain to all who fail to bow down properly. Rick and The Behemoth infest a local church filled with loyal devotees and demand fealty to their new God as well as make an offering of an innocent child or they all die . . . Just one child though, this Behemoth is not greedy even though there is a basement filled with kiddos.



So, what follows is the evil that happens when humans are asked to make such a terrible decision to save their own hides. All of their ugliness, self-preservation and selfishness come crashing to the surface and spewing through their mouths and thoughts. Some become sheep, just going along with what they know instinctively is very wrong. This all feels so very real and the author does a fantastic job of bringing this terror-filled this scenario to life.

“All was not right in the house of God.”

Terrible, gory things happen at the level of early Clive Barker gruesomeness, mostly to people who deserve it but just know that no one is truly safe, even if they’re not a jerk. I enjoyed the spontaneity of the murders even when I was sad to see someone decent go because it upped the odds. The characters were well drawn and the brief moments of light and hope make the darker bits stand out all the more. My only minor complaint is that there is a bit of head hopping which I noticed most nearest the end. I don’t typically notice such things but there were a few pages that I had to go back and reread to clarify who was speaking.

The ending was very fitting and one I didn’t see coming. I loved the visceral brutality of it all and the picture it paints of the most horrible creature of all: humans.

Read this one if you dare!


Comments

  1. I'm glad you loved it! Humans are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always said humans are scarier then "monsters." I want to watch evil people get what they deserve. Sign me up for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the sound of this one, but it was hard to read the review because I couldn't get past the doggie clip. LOL
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scariest monsters are human. Gotta add this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds interesting! I do like a nice dark subject!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could handle reading about people who deserve it getting killed right about now lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a coincidence, this is the title of my autobiography. lol. Seriously, this sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of this one. Sometimes I am in the mood for something just a little more brutal. That gif is cracking me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm right there with you! Justice needs to be served somewhere, and if not in reality, than perhaps in fiction. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between Naps (9)

It by Stephen King | A Retro Review

Review: Dark Stars: New Tales of Darkest Horror edited by John F.D. Taff