Horror Review: Bad Apples: Five Slices of Halloween Horror

It's nearly Halloween and time to read some Halloween Horror!


Bad Apples by Edward Lorn, Jason Parent, Evans Light, Adam Light & Gregor Xane
Horror Fiction
Released September 2014
Amazon | Goodreads | Corpus Press 
The five freshest voices in horror will make you reconsider leaving the house on October 31st with these all-new Halloween tales:

* A brother and sister creep out of the darkness with bags full of deadly tricks in Gregor Xane's THE RIGGLE TWINS.

* A boy with a misshapen skull just wants to be normal in Evans Light's PUMPKINHEAD TED.

* A group of thrill seekers learn that looking for terror is a whole lot more fun than finding it in Adam Light's GHOST LIGHT ROAD.

* Two bullies go hunting for trouble but instead find a young boy and his imaginary friend in Jason Parent's EASY PICKINGS.

* When a mysterious, Halloween-themed attraction comes to the town of Bay's End, everyone is dying to pay a visit in Edward Lorn's THE SCARE ROWS.

My Thoughts:

Looking for something to read on Halloween night? I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

The Riggle Twins by Gregor Xane

I had so many questions when I stepped into this story because the characters and the setting were so unusual. What are they? Where did they come from? What is going on?! Soon enough I just went with it and followed the odd Riggle twins as they headed out for their Halloween adventure to find two tributes before midnight. And it’s imperative they do so because “they don't want to die again . . . The first time was bad enough.”
This was a bizarre, horrifying and completely unpredictable little tale. As much as I love having my questions answered, in this case, I enjoyed the fact that we weren’t spoon fed all of the answers. It made things much more ominous and mysterious.

Pumpkin Head Ted by Evans Light

Poor Ted lives a miserable existence. He is neglected and abused at home and ruthlessly tormented by his peers. Halloween is the one night Ted can blend in and almost feel like he belongs. He dons a mask and people don’t notice his deformities and treat him like any other kid. Feeling brave, he visits the home of his biggest tormentor and starts a terrible chain of events that children will be whispering about for decades to come.

This is a story filled with rage, hate, pain and revenge and it was a gut-wrenching read. Don’t let hate infect your soul kiddos, that’s all I have to say.

Ghost Light Road by Adam Light

Billy was planning on spending Halloween avoiding trick or treaters, watching horror movies and drinking beer but his little sis calls and screws with his plans. Now he and her two friends are off to Ghost Light Road so they can spy a ghost, despite the rumors that people often do not return from their little visit.

These four dummies decide to drink some concoction of booze which may or may not be laced with some magickal mushrooms and, as young drunkards will do, proceed to make some truly dumb ass moves that have them discovering the reason why some folks never return from their trip to Ghost Light Road.

The twist was surprising. The story takes a bunch of horror clichés and mashes them together into something new. It was fun and a little gory and left me pretty happy with the outcome.

Easy Pickings by Jason Parent

Trevor is a big bully and Halloween us his favorite time of year, a time when he can terrorize his younger, weaker neighbors and steal their candy while cowardly hiding behind a mask. When he and his side-kick happen upon a young boy, without a parent in sight, the two make their move assuming he’ll be easy pickings. They were oh so wrong.

The true monster in this story gets what he deserves and I loved the gruesomeness of it.

The Scare Rows by Edward Lorn

A seasonal attraction called "The Scare Rows" has popped up in a small town, seemingly overnight, and all of the townsfolk are abuzz with excitement for the big show.

The big show isn’t anything at all what they could’ve concocted in even the darkest, dirtiest of minds. This one is down and dirty and darkly humorous so of course I loved it. Most of the characters are revolting which makes the outcome that much sweeter.

“Her lips and tongue seemed intent on polishing every individual kernel of starchy goodness.”

Pass me some of that popcorn!

Comments

  1. Twins are creepy by default...or maybe that's just me. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had the greatest luck with horror anthologies over the years. I haven't tried any of these authors though I'm reading They Feed later this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, They Feed was so much fun. I hope you love it too.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like there isn't a bad story in the bunch. I'm definitely adding this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great collection without a dud in the bunch. I hope you love them all too.

      Delete
  4. I've enjoyed books by all of these authors. This was a good one and I just realized I owe it a review. I need to grab the second collection too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, that's why I have to review immediately after finishing :)

      Delete
  5. I am goodreads friends with Edward Lorn but haven't read his writing yet. This one does sound like it would be worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His story is rather crazy! I think you'll enjoy this collections.

      Delete
  6. Ooh fun. I'd love to read about the bully getting his lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I really wanted tome good short stoires for this month :) Thanks you Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely need to pick this one up!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between Naps (9)

It by Stephen King | A Retro Review

What I Learned While On A Blogging Break