The Farm by Joanne Ramos Review

Happy Friday, I never thought it would get here!



The Farm by Joanne Ramos 

Released May 2019

Audiobook  |  Goodreads  | Amazon 

Source: Library Borrow
13 hours, 54 minutes 

Nestled in the Hudson Valley is a sumptuous retreat boasting every amenity: organic meals, private fitness trainers, daily massages—and all of it for free. In fact, you get paid big money—more than you've ever dreamed of—to spend a few seasons in this luxurious locale. The catch? For nine months, you belong to the Farm. You cannot leave the grounds; your every move is monitored. Your former life will seem a world away as you dedicate yourself to the all-consuming task of producing the perfect baby for your überwealthy clients.

Jane, an immigrant from the Philippines and a struggling single mother, is thrilled to make it through the highly competitive Host selection process at the Farm. But now pregnant, fragile, consumed with worry for her own young daughter's well-being, Jane grows desperate to reconnect with her life outside. Yet she cannot leave the Farm or she will lose the life-changing fee she'll receive on delivery—or worse.

Heartbreaking, suspenseful, provocative, The Farm pushes our thinking on motherhood, money, and merit to the extremes, and raises crucial questions about the trade-offs women will make to fortify their futures and the futures of those they love. 

My 2 Cents For Free!

Meh.

I spent a few days listening to this book and I kind of want them back now.

The premise of The Farm was a good one and held so much promise but it all fizzed out into a whole lot of nothing all that exciting. Perhaps I am spoiled by the recent onslaught of amazing thriller/suspense/horror books I've been reading recently? Perhaps I am just spoiled. Maybe that reader was right when he said I had atrocious taste? Either way this book mostly bored me because I was hoping for the big sinister thing to be exposed. Instead I got a lot of little dramas, SOOOO many little and big lies, too many side-trips into mundane daily struggles and far too many pages about taking care of babies and pregnancy woes. I've been there. I don't want to do it again.

This book wasn't for me but it's not a bad book. The characterization is superb. Unfortunately I found myself unable to feel any great emotion for these characters. Sure, I felt bad for some of them - I am not a complete monster, but I never felt emotionally invested. I don't know what I'm saying. It simply didn't work for me. 2 1/2 stars but I'll bump it up to a 3 because I believe my expectations were set too high when it was called a modern day Handmaid's Tale and classified as a dystopia. It wasn't. Most of the things that happen in this book are happening now and none of it was earth-shattering.

3 Stars out of 5





Comments

  1. I didn't realize this was horror. I know you didn't quite like it, but the character being from the Philippines piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it might be leading down a dark path but it didn't end up going there. The characterization is fantastic but it was missing something for me. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Ooh I can see where this could have been a lot of fun if it WAS horror, or went a little darker. I think I'd want more of that too. Sorry this one didn't quite work for you. That premise has potential though haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a bit of a bummer for me. Ah well, you can't have the 5's without the 3's!

      Delete
  3. How disappointing. I hate when a book doesn't live up to expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. huh the blurb made it seem interesting, but after your review, not so much. i probably would have passed on it anyway. too many dark thrillers and supernaturals to read
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the blurb was a bit misleading which is a shame because it does a disservice to the actual book.

      Delete
  5. Well damn, this sounded like it had a lot of promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it wasn't terrible but it wasn't at all what I expected.

      Delete
  6. It sounded like a good concept-what a pity it didn't fully deliver!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not enough horror? I have to pass. It sure had the makings to be creepy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Books, Movies, TV & Updates • July 1, 2023

In Darkness, Delight: Masters of Midnight edited by Andrew Lennon | Horror Fiction Review

Brainwyrms by Alison Rumfitt | Book Review