Spun! by JL Merrow Book Review

I am finally back to my review archive project. I read this back in 2018 but it never got posted because I was slacking. So here it is!



Spun by JL Merrow

Released July 2017

Romance  |  Goodreads   |  Amazon

Source: Netgalley
An ill-advised encounter at the office party leaves David Greenlake jobless and homeless in one heady weekend. But he quickly begs work from his ex-boss and takes a room in Shamwell with easygoing postman Rory Deamer. David doesn’t mean to flirt with the recently divorced Rory—just like he doesn’t consciously decide to breathe. After all, Rory’s far too nice for him. And far too straight.

Rory finds his new lodger surprisingly fun to be with, and what’s more, David is a hit with Rory’s troubled children. But while Rory’s world may have turned upside down in the last few years, there’s one thing he’s sure of: he’s straight as a die. So he can’t be falling for David . . . can he?

Their friends and family think they know all the answers, and David’s office party hookup has his own plans for romance. Rory and David need to make up their minds and take a stand for what they really want—or their love could be over before it’s even begun.

My 2 Cents For Free!

I decided to take a mini-break away from the horror-fest I’d been on and finally read this way overdue Netgalley title. I think I may need to stick with horror a wee bit longer because I found Spun all too sweet for my current mood.

It was also very hard for me to stick to and when it starts there are so many characters from previous books I haven’t read popping in that I had trouble keeping track of who was who and who was connected to who. I’m not sure if it was the dialogue, the accents or just the sometimes overly wordy prose but I found myself going back and rereading many a paragraph for whatever reason and at times it felt a little too much like work to finish this book. It also has kid characters and they’re featured quite heavily and while it added to the characterization and connection between the couple, kids in a romance aren’t exactly my favorite.

The story opens with David getting fired from his job after he is discovered doing sexual things with the husband of somebody at a work event. Oops. He decides to move out of the city and rents a room from Rory. Rory is a divorced dad of two who has just been dumped by his latest girlfriend. Rory is straight or at least always thought he was until he starts thinking thoughts about David that he’s never thought before.

You can guess how it goes from there right? Okay, good.

So I liked David. He is a bit of a nut. He’s quirky, flirty and flamboyant and carries around a teddy bear he’s named Gregory. It is impossible to dislike David even when he’s making poor decisions and doing the whole jumping to conclusions sort of thing. This brings me to the main issue I had with this book, the misunderstandings and lack of talking about those oh-so-pesky feelings! Rory and David talk about everything else but jump to conclusions and listen to outside forces and get themselves all hurt up for no good reason except maybe to make the book a little longer. It kind of wore on my last nerve and made me want to grab them both and clang their skulls together if I’m being completely honest. I also liked Rory. He’s quite a few years older than David and he is a kind, sweet and open-minded guy. Their attraction and slowly developing romance felt genuine. But again it was too slow for my tastes.

I liked this story but not enough to give it more than a three.


3 out of 5



Comments

  1. This sounds sweet. I like a light, sweet romance at times. But it sounds like you're in the mood for something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I basically have zero patience! It's only getting worse too, lol.

      Delete
  2. I've read a few books by this author but misunderstandings irritate me lol

    Karen @ For What It's worth

    ReplyDelete
  3. in relationships, even in books, it's all about communication....good, bad, or not at all. i too get frustrated with on and off again, misunderstandings, and all those other things...and then i wonder about real life. how messy is that? LOL with all the communication failures. LOL
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It drives me CRAZY! In books and in real life. Talk it out or end it already. Sheesh, I have no patience, lol.

      Delete
  4. I've still got the image in my head of you clanging their heads together, lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between Naps (9)

What I Learned While On A Blogging Break

It by Stephen King | A Retro Review