Below by Laurel Hightower | Book Review

This novella packs in a full novel's worth of surprises!


Below by Laurel Hightower

Released March 2022

Source: Purchased with my own $

Goodreads  | Amazon

HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO TO HELP A STRANGER?

While driving through the mountains of West Virginia during a late-night snowstorm, a recently divorced woman experiences bizarre electrical problems, leaving her with little choice but to place her trust with a charismatic truck driver. But when an unexplainable creature with haunting red eyes gets between them, she is forced to make one of the toughest decisions of her life. Will she abandon the stranger who kept her safe—or will she climb down below, where reality has shapeshifted into a living nightmare?

My 2 Cents for Free!

This book is so damn unsettling. It’s been a few days and when I think about it now it still gives me a strong case of the creeps.

Addy, newly divorced and on a solo road trip to a horror convention, has a weird encounter that shakes her up. It’ll probably shake you up too. The imagery here just sticks in your brain and doesn’t want to let go. She pulls into a rest stop to calm her nerves and meets a man who may be a wee bit too friendly, if you know what I mean. Or not. I’m still unsure, lol. Anyhow, thus begins a harrowing adventure that only gets weirder the deeper one gets into it.

Addy finds her strength during the toughest moments of this sometimes claustrophobic adventure. She’s been shushed and told what to do and how to do it for so long that the ex husband’s voice still infects her every decision and rolls around in her head. It’s a frightening story but also a cathartic one too.

I bought Below over a year ago and finally read it as part of the Horror Spotlight readalong. I'm glad I waited because it was so much fun to share theories and thoughts that way. I don’t think any of us were sure of exactly what happened in the end which made it all the more disturbing and unforgettable.

Highly recommended if you’re looking for a story that’ll surprise and horrify you with its weird turns!

⭐⭐⭐1/2


I mean, look at this adorable little guy!




Comments

  1. I *need* this book in my life!! Thanks so much for an awesome review.

    Ash @ Essentially Ash
    Bookstagram | Personal Insta | TikTok | Goodreads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  2. I love that she's on a solo road trip to a horror convention when all this craziness occurs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is completely new to me! It sounds like a wonderful creepy read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, this is why I don't travel especially by myself. Haha.
    The sounds so creepy but I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book when I read it but I'm a sucker for mothman tales. Must be the WV in me😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this has me super curious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Full Brutal by Kristopher Triana

Delicate Condition by Danielle Valentine | Horror Fiction Review

Brainwyrms by Alison Rumfitt | Book Review