Such Sharp Teeth by Rachel Harrison | Book Review

You'll love this if you dig a little side of romance with your gruesome body horror.


Such Sharp Teeth by Rachel Harrison

Released October 2022

Source: Library Borrow

Goodreads  | Amazon

A young woman in need of a transformation finds herself in touch with the animal inside in this gripping, incisive novel from the author of Cackle and The Return.

Rory Morris isn't thrilled to be moving back to her hometown, even if it is temporary. There are bad memories there. But her twin sister, Scarlett, is pregnant, estranged from the baby's father, and needs support, so Rory returns to the place she thought she'd put in her rearview. After a night out at a bar where she runs into an old almost-flame, she hits a large animal with her car. And when she gets out to investigate, she's attacked.

Rory survives, miraculously, but life begins to look and feel different. She's unnaturally strong, with an aversion to silver--and suddenly the moon has her in its thrall. She's changing into someone else--something else, maybe even a monster. But does that mean she's putting those close to her in danger? Or is embracing the wildness inside of her the key to acceptance?

This darkly comedic love story is a brilliantly layered portrait of trauma, rage, and vulnerability.

My 2 Cents for Free!

This was another fun horrorish story. I didn't love it as much as I did Cackle but I don't love most everything as much as I love Cackle.

I say "horrorish" because sometimes it felt like the "sharp teeth" part of the story took a backseat to the family drama and the romance. I do think this is a very good horror/romance mashup and I love a good horror romance and will never complain about it. Please give me a whole bunch more!

With that said, this one felt a little over-stuffed with the focus moving from the body horror to the romance and then back to the messy family dynamics that were always simmering behind the scenes. There was a lot going on when I really just wanted more of the gross, messy wolfy bits and romance bits and the funny, snarky bits but that's just me. I'm a picky witch.

⭐⭐1/2






Comments

  1. I'm looking forward to reading this one. But I've kind of been saving it for my October reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved this one! But yes it did get into the family dramas a bit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes I just need to escape it though, lol.

      Delete
  3. I really liked this one but I absolutely loved Cackle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cackle is my most favorite too. So perfect in every way.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like one that I actually might be able to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like a little bit of romance in almost everything lol

    I'm not sure I've read "body horror" I'll have to look up what it means, specifically but I do enjoy gruesome stuff.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Body horror is when something gruesome happens to the body. Eyeballs rotting, bodies changing, it's usually pretty gross, lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Full Brutal by Kristopher Triana

Delicate Condition by Danielle Valentine | Horror Fiction Review

Brainwyrms by Alison Rumfitt | Book Review