Just Like Home by Sarah Gailey | Audiobook Review

A mini-review of a very weird and excellent book.


Just Like Home by Sarah Gailey 

Released July 2022

Source: Library Borrow

Goodreads  | Amazon

“Come home.” Vera’s mother called and Vera obeyed. In spite of their long estrangement, in spite of the memories -- she's come back to the home of a serial killer. Back to face the love she had for her father and the bodies he buried there.

Coming home is hard enough for Vera, and to make things worse, she and her mother aren’t alone. A parasitic artist has moved into the guest house out back, and is slowly stripping Vera’s childhood for spare parts. He insists that he isn’t the one leaving notes around the house in her father’s handwriting… but who else could it possibly be?

There are secrets yet undiscovered in the foundations of the notorious Crowder House. Vera must face them, and find out for herself just how deep the rot goes.

My 2 Cents for Free!

I have to admit the dedication sucked me in immediately.

“This book is dedicated to anyone who ever loved a monster.”

This book was so weird and surprising! I absolutely adored the way the story was told. It was creepy and disturbing and was also a thoughtful exploration of some very complicated family dynamics. There is a character here I loved to hate and that's always all kinds of fun.


Just Like Home might not be for everyone, but it definitely worked for me!

I listened to the audiobook and the narrator read a little slow for my liking, so I sped things up to 1.25 and it was perfection.

⭐⭐⭐1/2




Comments

  1. That is an awesome dedication! You've got me curious about this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has a creepy sound to it but it sounds like it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading dedications. Family dynamics and horror seem like a natural fit lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Full Brutal by Kristopher Triana

Princess Miri by Cerys du Lys Retro Review

Got My Eye On (May 2018 #1)