I Made Something: Rice Jumper

While I haven't been reviewing (or blogging) much over the past few months, I have been reading and also doing other things! This is one of them. It's the Rice Jumper from We Are Knitters (if you plan to make a purchase sign up for emails and wait for a BIG sale like the 40% one they just ran because their 100% wool yarn is not cheap).

First I picked the yarn (the fun part!). I changed the default colors of the pattern because they kind of clash with my paleness and I went with more of a muted palette. 


Look at all the pretty yarn 💗


The Rice Jumper pattern is super easy to follow and great for tv/movie knitting, but it leaves out a few important points. Fortunately, there are usually notes on Ravelry or helpful people blog about their experiences. I found this one with my Googlefoo and it saved me so much frustration. 


There's a little rib stitch on the bottom and the sleeves and the rest is basically seed stitch (knit the purls, purl the knits). It was fun but a wee bit clunky at times because the needles needed for the bulky/chunky yarn were huge size 11's. I also made the mistake of sewing two of the seams up before blocking and then I tried it on and went "uh oh". It was too short and way too close fitting. Totally NOT what I wanted. But then I remembered I could block it and attempt to stretch the wool into the shape I needed so I stretched it out, tacked it down and gave it a good spray. Thankfully the wool cooperated, and it worked. Phew! There's nothing worse than spending hours on something that fits and looks wonky.


The sleeves during blocking ↓



Holy cats, it fits! Yay!!


Here's a pic of the finished project. I absolutely hated the neck originally. It was this awkward bulky bit of mock turtleneck that sort of flopped around because I accidentally got carried away and knit a few too many rows. I'm just not a fan of having wool surround my entire neck anyhow so I folded it inside, tacked it down with a few stitches and now I love it.


Next up on the needles is another rice jumper in a solid mauve color and an X Files rewatch! 

Comments

  1. What a cute sweater! I love those colors. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and there weren't even any tears involved, lol!

      Delete
  3. I love this! The colors are so pretty, and I'm envious you know how to knit a sweater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I taught myself through books and videos and lots of tears, lol.

      Delete
  4. I have no idea some of the technical things you talked about because I know nothing about knitting, but this is BEAUTIFUL! If I saw this in a store, I would want it. And I seriously love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you for such a kind comment! I'm really happy with how it turned out. The wool is very hot but it's also very cold here for what seems like 70% of the year so it's perfect.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Full Brutal by Kristopher Triana

Princess Miri by Cerys du Lys Retro Review

Got My Eye On (May 2018 #1)