American Rapture by C.J. Leede | Horror Fiction Review

Proceed with caution.

American Rapture by C.J. Leede

Released October 2024
Source: Purchased from Aardvark Bookbox
See more @ Goodreads

American Rapture is a trip through a lust apocalypse told through the eyes of a very sheltered, catholic teen named Sophie. As the virus spreads, she escapes her oppressive life and hits the road to find her twin brother with a ragtag group of survivors and a beautiful, protective dog.

I enjoyed this book and yet I didn't. It started out strong as we learn all about Sophie's terrible life with her religious extremist parents and it was all very timely. And I thought the trapped on the highway scene was chilling. I've probably read/watched far too much horror but whenever there is wall to wall stopped traffic on the highway and I'm alone in my car my mind envisions terrible things. This book added a few more. But then the story started to meander for me as she and a band of survivors run around trying to figure out what exactly is happening and where to go from here.

Sophie being young and free and finally discovering the world starts questioning the religious views forced upon her by her parents and their insulated community. Especially the views around purity and its value. That was great. What wasn't so great was that she develops a crush on nearly everyone in her little group and they're all beautiful because of course they are and she's the most beautiful of them all but doesn't have a clue. I don't know, maybe I'm just past this very young, naive feeling POV but I still have a little bit of memory left, and I don't remember wanting to kiss everyone who was pretty and nice to me when I was a teen. And the cop is 8 years her senior. His attention came off as a little creepy to me. I realize these are trying times here in this rape zombie apocalypse, but it bugged me nonetheless.

The other thing that disappointed me was the lack of characterization for all of the secondary characters. This felt like a very long book but the time wasn't taken to flesh them out, making it hard for me to care about them when, well, when things inevitably happen. The dog was fleshed out more than most of the people. These books are always depressing and so sad but I didn't feel much for these people. The dog is another story entirely. (the spoiler is below the plot synopsis)

I realize this review sounds more like a 2 than a 3 but really if falls somewhere between. I'll give it a 2.75 because parts of it were very well done and it has some important things to say about religion and the people who wield it as a weapon.

Final Rating:  ⭐ (2.75?)


Publisher Plot Synopsis 

Never been kissed.
About to get screwed.

A virus is spreading across America, transforming the infected and making them feral with lust.

Sophie, a good Catholic girl, must survive the hellscape of the Midwest to try to save her twin brother while the world around her burns. Along the way she discovers there are far worse fates

BIG SAD SPOILER BELOW

















This lovely dog dies in one of the most painful, brutal ways imaginable and it's going to haunt me. I read the author's Letter to the Reader at the end and it breaks my heart but I absolutely despised what was done to this loyal creature/character and didn't think the prolonged suffering was necessary to drive a point home. Humans are the worst, this we know, but this death was too much for me. I recommend skimming the chapter titled "Inferno" if you love dogs and don't want to read about them being harmed. I was going to do the same once I learned about the dog death, but I sucked it up and read it and I do have regrets.

Comments

  1. I agree, I don't ever want to be stopped in wall to wall traffic with no way to get out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Horror Novella Review: The Secret Skin by Wendy N. Wagner

PSA: I Might Not Like Your Book And That's Okay

One Yellow Eye by Leigh Radford | Horror Fiction Review