The Oh-So-Sad DNF Collection: Take 10
I have a bit of a backlog of these since I've been doing my best to get through some of my tbr pile. So anyhow, here's another post that everyone loves to see (lol and yikes). However, I've always reviewed what I consider the good, the meh and the not-so-great and seeing books others have DNF'd also helps people decide what they'd like to read next. We can't all love the same things and someone might read my words and say "Hey, I love that thing you hate. Thanks for the recommendation!" But it's all helpful as long as it's not hateful. So here goes another batch!
Ooops, nope. That's totally not what this post is about. It's your last chance to turn back!
DNF #1
My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones
DNF at about 58%. I cannot get into this one. I've tried and tried and tried again but I find myself zoning out and having to go backwards. The constant slasher references are ruining the vibe of the main story and I get it, that's the story and it's the main characters greatest love, but it just feels like I'm listening to a horror movie superfan podcast and I honestly kind of hate those now. I love horror films too, love and adore them, and I knew what Jade was referencing each time but it wasn't fun and instead disappointingly distracting. I guess I am just so exhausted and burned out by all the fangirl/fanboy "I'm so knowledgeable" stuff out there now. It's me not the book.
I loved The Only Good Indians so I'll definitely read this author again even if this one wasn't meant for me.
DNF #2
Summer In Orcas by T. Kingfisher
I'm going to set this one aside at 30%. It's cute but I guess I'm just not in the mood for a little walking road trip with talking animals. I typically love Kingfisher's writing but this one has me stalled. It's me again, it's not the book.
DNF #3
Onyx Storm by Rebecca Yarros
I have completely lost interest in this series and am admitting defeat 😞😴
DNF #4
Rebel Witch by Kristen Ciccarelli
I’m dnfing this one at 52%. I can’t take any more of this on again/off again nonsense. They’re stuck in a loop of relationship hell and it has exhausted me. It’s a shame because I thought the first book held a lot of promise. This one feels padded and I can’t connect. I hope the characters work it all out but honestly I don’t really care if they do.
DNF #5
Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts
DNF at 50 pages. The writing didn't click with me and there are 4 (5?) teen POV's and that's just too many when I'm not connecting to any of them.
"'There's been an accident.'
No words have ever been so terrifying. It was a sunny day. Beautiful. Early September. He'd been laughing. School had just started. Someone told a joke."
Nah, not for me. I don't want to sit here and pick it to shreds and look like the jerk I probably am so I'm quitting here.
That's it for me. I really do love books despite this post and I hope all of your books are five star reads!






Comments
Post a Comment