The Oh-So-Sad DNF Collection: Take 9

I have a bit of a backlog of these since I've been doing my best to get through some of my tbr pile. So anyhow, here's another post that everyone loves to see (lol and yikes).  However, I've always reviewed what I consider the good, the meh and the not-so-great and seeing books others have DNF'd also helps people decide what they'd like to read next. We can't all love the same things and someone might read my words and say "Hey, I love that thing you hate. Thanks for the recommendation!" But it's all helpful as long as it's not hateful. So here goes another batch! 




Ooops, nope. That's totally not what this post is about. It's your last chance to turn back!



DNF #1

When the Weaver Met the Gargoyle by Lila Appleton

I borrowed this from Kindle Unlimited because it sounded fun and the cover caught my eye but yikes, I can’t with this one. It feels very much like a first draft and it’s giving me secondhand cringe.

Why, you ask? Well, maybe you didn’t but I’m telling you anyway. Too much tell, too little character development, too much dependence on insta-lust, way too much contrived plot in the setup, one heaving chest (😩), an insecure gorgeous gargoyle who hides his spectacular wings and a frenemy and ridiculous ex-lover whose every appearance got on my last nerve. There is some cuteness and I love a gargoyle but this one didn’t work for me. I’m quitting at 50%. Am I too grouchy? Why yes, perhaps I am 🤷‍♀️



DNF #2


Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist

I’ve had this book in my tbr for what feels like a million years and figures it was time to read it but I ended up calling it a day at 25%. It was boring me to death. The characters were aggravating me, except for the two young boys who seemed ok so far and I hope they don’t end up like their spoiled, rude older sister Gabby. But the annoying characters weren’t enough to put me off. It was the meandering plot. I probably should’ve read it when I was a very young adult who had some patience for this kind of thing.



DNF #3

Our Share of Night by Mariana Enriquez

This was DNF'd at 42% because I was dreading getting back to it. I don’t know if it’s me or if it’s the book or if I’m in a slump but if I keep going I know I’ll definitely be in a slump. It’s long, it’s depressing and the casual brutality is just not what I want to read today.




DNF #4


Reel by Kennedy Ryan

I got this book in a bookbox a few years ago and was looking forward to it because the reviews were all so good. The writing is good but the making a movie parts are making me sleepy and the male producer/love interest keeps saying he won’t get involved with his actress and I know he’s lying. He knows he’s lying and his penis definitely knows he’s lying because it practically has its own POV and I quickly lost patience with him and his uncontrollable manroot. This one wasn't meant for me this day.





DNF #5

The Lost Bookshop by Evie Woods

I’m quitting at 15%. I don’t know if it’s me, the audio or the book but it’s not grabbing me and I think a violence or a rape? might’ve just happened and I’m sick and the jumping around in timelines and characters is making my head hurt even worse today so I’m putting it down. Perhaps forever.



That's it for me. I really do love books despite this post and I hope all of your books are five star reads!

Comments

  1. Sometimes it happens. We aren't all going to like everything we pick up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Between Naps (7)

The Haar by David Sodergren | Horror Fiction Review

TTT: This is My Spring TBR Wishlist, Can You Add to It?