Books from the Backlog: Deadly Feasts by Richard Rhodes


Carole @ Carole's Random Life In Books has created a fun new feature called Books from the Backlog to spotlight neglected and unloved books that have been sitting on your bookshelf for too long.

If you would like to join in, click the pic above to find out more.

My Neglected Book of the Week is Deadly Feasts by Richard Rhodes.



The Goodreads Blurbage:

"In this brilliant and gripping medical detective story. Richard Rhodes follows virus hunters on three continents as they track the emergence of a deadly new brain disease that first kills cannibals in New Guinea, then cattle and young people in Britain and France—and that has already been traced to food animals in the United States. In a new afterword for the paperback, Rhodes reports the latest US and worldwide developments of a burgeoning global threat. ."

Why did I add this book to my tbr pile? I bought this book at my Friends of the Library Booksale back in 2005 (ohmygawds how the time flies) when I was in my mad cow apocalypse phase. No, I wasn't infected (well, not that I know of and symptoms haven't shown up YET) but I did fear a long lingering plague of brain eating prions and honestly I still do! Somehow it got buried in a pile and I never did read it. Should I? I'm a little scared of it now.

Comments

  1. Loving the gnome with the book! For some reason bloglovin is hiding your post from me but thankfully I found it through the link on Carole's page. Stupid bloglovin!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, Bloglovin' is probably mad at me because I've ignored it so long. That's my little zombie gnome and I love him :)

      Delete
  2. I don't read a lot of non-fiction and when you said you were in your mad cow apocalypse phase, I couldn't help but think of the book "Apocalypse Cow." Have you read that? I will stay away from this one because I'd probably be convinced I was dying or something. The gnome is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one yet but I probably own it, knowing me. Lemme go check - nope not on my Amazon list but it is now! Yes, if you read this you will never want to eat milk, ice cream or beef again. My husband got me the gnome for Christmas. He knows what I like :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, now that sounds good. I love getting to some of the gritty parts of history. Good pick and hope you get a chance at it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may leave me a terrified mess but I'm going to give it a shot :)

      Delete
  4. This book sounds interesting, oddly enough. I don't think I've ever read anything about mad cow disease before.

    I hope you'll have the chance to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's scary stuff. There's a documentary called Mad Cowboy that is so very disturbing.

      Delete
  5. I read or really listened to Cannibalism last year or maybe the year before?? I remember that book talking about Mad Cow Disease since it was first seen in cannibals. I would totally read this book.

    Thanks so much for joining in, Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for creating this feature. It's forcing me to take a look at my really old books!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It by Stephen King | A Retro Review

Between Naps (9)

Review: Dark Stars: New Tales of Darkest Horror edited by John F.D. Taff